Using the API

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
clel

Using the API

Post by clel »

I am having problems finding functions used in scripts that I find here in the API on https://freecadweb.org/api/.

Example:

Code: Select all

shape = Part.Shape()
shape.read(importPath)
mesh = Mesh.Mesh()
mesh.addFacets(shape.tessellate(0.01))
mesh.write(exportPath)
I did not find Part.Shape() in the API, neither did I find a read() function in Shape(), I also did not find Mesh.Mesh() and its corresponding functions.

I even had problems with this code from a recorded macro:

mesh = MeshPart.meshFromShape(Shape=shape,Fineness=0,SecondOrder=0,Optimize=1,AllowQuad=0)
Links to their occurence in the API are highly appreciated. I'd like to have some documentation for those functions.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Using the API

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
I'm not sure if these are in the api. It seems pretty useless to me.

You should browse it in py console. First, "import Part". Then, type "Part.Sh" and you'll see a list of suggestions. As you scroll through the list, docstrings will pop up as tooltips.
clel

Post by clel »

Ok, so the API available is rather incomplete then? Sad to hear that, it should maybe be mentioned on the API page.

So the only rather complete documentation is using the py console? This makes programming very hard. Thanks for the hint, though! It is probably very useful.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

All of the mentioned functions are still available but you may have to first import the corresponding Python modules

import Part
import Mesh
import MeshPart
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Browsing API from the Python console https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 33#p272495
Please demonstrate using a remote text editor to substitute the Python editor in FreeCAD https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p346645
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

As a side note to Kunda1's above post : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p333170 ;)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

clel wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 pm Ok, so the API available is rather incomplete then? Sad to hear that, it should maybe be mentioned on the API page.

So the only rather complete documentation is using the py console? This makes programming very hard. Thanks for the hint, though! It is probably very useful.
This page is incomplete, https://freecadweb.org/api/.

Why? Because the entire Doxygen generated documentation is around 5 GB in size, and the developers didn't want to upload and host all that.

The best way to get the programming documentation is to get the source code and compile it yourself. See Source documentation and Doxygen.

Nevertheless, there is also the issue that many Python functions in FreeCAD are defined from the C++ sources but don't have a corresponding .py file. That is, something like Part.Shape is not defined in a Python file, but in a C++ class, and this is exposed in Python as Part.Shape. In order to fully understand how to use some functions you need to understand the C++ code, refer to the C++ sources and documentation, and in some cases to the OpenCASCADE Technology (OCCT) documentation.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

vocx wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:28 am Nevertheless, there is also the issue that many Python functions in FreeCAD are defined from the C++ sources but don't have a corresponding .py file. That is, something like Part.Shape is not defined in a Python file, but in a C++ class, and this is exposed in Python as Part.Shape.
Makes me wonder. It's not difficult to write a py script to auto browse all Part.something, gather all attributes, and generate a fake python module with all the classes having these methods with just docstrings. Then feed it to doxygen...
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 am Makes me wonder. It's not difficult to write a py script to auto browse all Part.something, gather all attributes, and generate a fake python module with all the classes having these methods with just docstrings. Then feed it to doxygen...
Thinking about fake-python modules / abstraction layers, why not combine ideas and use the freecad namespace to put this all into?
But if we ever do anything in this direction, I guess we first need to define policies for the API which includes (Gui vs App handling, naming conventions, import-conventions, ...)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

DeepSOIC wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 am Makes me wonder. It's not difficult ...
Are you asking, or are you saying this as a matter of fact? I think it is hard, and that's exactly why it hasn't been done before.

Yorik has mentioned it a few times, that in the past they thought about creating fake Python files with the information, and then documenting this with Sphinx, but it wasn't as straight forward. His attempts are in src/Doc/sphinx.

I would think it's hard to do this, but that's just my impression, I don't understand exactly how the whole wrapping of C++ classes works in FreeCAD. It would be great if there was a complete explanation by Werner or you or somebody who really knows.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.