FreeCAD & KiCad stars on Github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

FreeCAD & KiCad stars on Github

Post by keithsloan52 »

Checking my Github profile this morning and under updates was info that luzpaz had starred FreeCAD
So went to check how many stars FreeCAD has
FreeCAD now has 4.7K of stars i.e. 4,700.

Out of interest I checked KiCad and they only had 728.

So also checked Blender 357
OpenSCAD 3k i.e. 3,000
Fritzing 1553

Oh well my FreeCAD GDML Workbench has the dizzy number of 7 stars. Well we can all dream
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD & KiCad stars on Github

Post by Jee-Bee »

few other interesting ones:
librecad 1500
inkscape 1500
gimp 2100
fjullien

Post by fjullien »

KiCad does use github as a mirror.
KiCad source code used to be in launchpad but it is now on GitLab (moved few days ago).

I guess it's why they only have 728 stars on Github.

Franck.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

fjullien wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 am KiCad does use github as a mirror.
KiCad source code used to be in launchpad but it is now on GitLab (moved few days ago).

I guess it's why they only have 728 stars on Github.

Franck.
That would explain the low number.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

This may also interest FreeCAD core developers...

KiCad did a funding campaing in late 2018, with the goal to reach 30k CHF in two months (which are almost the same value in euro) to boost and support next release cycle.

It seemed it took one week only (more or less) to achieve the goal of 30k CHF, instead of the two months planned.
Great success indeed for an open source project!
This is the reference page:
https://givetokicad.web.cern.ch/

phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm glad that KiCad is so much better than the video :lol: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm
I'm glad that KiCad is so much better than the video :lol: .
@chrisb would you please remove your sentence from my quotation... it seems you quoted a part of my post, instead of just pinging me in your post.

BTW for sure the video was oriented to geeks and hobbyists, but in fact it helped a lot in fund raising ...
And the 30,000 CHF (about 27,000 EUR) of fund raised in less than a week is a great goal that I would like to see also for FreeCAD...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I corrected my post, sorry for that.

I didn't want to degrade the video, and I bet it served its purpose. But it is not one of these super smooth, gimmick filled videos, it shows instead two guys who are eager to finish the video the sooner the better and get back to their development work!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm ...
And the 30,000 CHF (about 27,000 EUR) of fund raised in less than a week is a great goal that I would like to see also for FreeCAD...
This is great. The problem is, as Yorik has explained in the past, who is going to organize it? Who is going to receive the money? What is going to be done with it? FreeCAD is notable in that it is extremely loosely organized. Yorik himself has said that he kinda doesn't want to do that admin work.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

So would I be correct in assuming the two guys in the KiCad Video are the two developers that CERN pay for?
If they raise the 30k CHF will CERN still be contributing i.e. Is the 30k for an extra developer?
30k CHF according to google is just over 23K UK pounds, so probably not, well not based near CERN anyway.