[WIP] airfoil workbench

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

[WIP] airfoil workbench

Post by looo »

As I already mentioned somewhere else, I am currently working on an airfoil workbench. I will posts updates in this topic. The work has 3 targets:
1. calibrating/modifying spline-foils to foils given by coordinates
2. optimizing spline foils (reducing drag with libxfoil)
3. interpolation of drag-computation with neural networks (not yet sure if this is a good idea)

The current functionality is mainly the calibration and interactive modification of spline foils (I called them parafoil's -> parametric foils). This tool helps to create good approximations of airfoil coordinates by using a calibration method (least-square method from scipy). I decided to fix the number of poles of a parafoil. This makes the calibration task easier and also will help later on with the wing creation.

phpBB [video]

added nose-tangent and table to modify pole-coordinates and weights:
Peek 2019-12-13 20-31.gif
Peek 2019-12-13 20-31.gif (601.66 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Last edited by looo on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: [WIP] airfoil workbench

Post by Joel_graff »

I'd like to include this as a new WB in the 0.19 release notes. Can you post a good description and maybe a nice screenshot either here or in the release notes thread?
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The release notes thread was rather hard to find. Should it be pinned or moved to Announcments or both?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:42 am Should it be pinned or moved to Announcments or both?
:+1:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Is this thumb up for pin or move or both :lol: ?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:13 am Is this thumb up for pin or move or both :lol: ?
lol, my vote is to pin it ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Joel_graff wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:11 am I'd like to include this as a new WB in the 0.19 release notes. Can you post a good description and maybe a nice screenshot either here or in the release notes thread?
I would like to make some progress first, as currently, not much functionality is provided.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:05 pm lol, my vote is to pin it ;)
I pinned it, we can easily return to the current state by unpinning.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I need a solution for finding the leading-edge of an foil given by coordinates. Currently I am using the point with the smallest x-value as the leading-edge. But this is not coorect. I guess a better definition of the leading edge is the intersection of the camber-curve and the airfoil. But I am not sure how to compute this point. Maybe someone has an idea.
leading-edge.png
leading-edge.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

What is the definition of the leading edge? I think, I have a feeling,but it is better to have a well defined concept.