the wiki page of Path copy

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

the wiki page of Path copy

Post by david69 »

from that page:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Copy

there are things which are not matching with the version
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

the location says: Path → Path Modification → Copy but I can not find the corresponding in my GUI.
I can not neither find the icon of the wiki page on the GUI.
vocx
Veteran

Re: the wiki page of Path copy

Post by vocx »

david69 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:02 pm ...
there are things which are not matching with the version
Didn't you ask this before? There are many obsolete pages about the Path Workbench. In order to really know what exists and what doesn't exist you need to check the source code directly, and cross check with the wiki documentation.

The initialization code of the workbench (InitGui.py) sets up the commands that will be available, together with the toolbars and menus.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... py#L87-L98

Code: Select all

# build commands list
        projcmdlist = ["Path_Job", "Path_Post"]
        toolcmdlist = ["Path_Inspect", "Path_Simulator", "Path_ToolLibraryEdit", "Path_SelectLoop", "Path_OpActiveToggle"]
        prepcmdlist = ["Path_Fixture", "Path_Comment", "Path_Stop", "Path_Custom"]
        twodopcmdlist = ["Path_Contour", "Path_Profile_Faces", "Path_Profile_Edges", "Path_Pocket_Shape", "Path_Drilling", "Path_MillFace", "Path_Helix", "Path_Adaptive" ]
        threedopcmdlist = ["Path_Pocket_3D"]
        engravecmdlist = ["Path_Engrave", "Path_Deburr"]
        modcmdlist = ["Path_OperationCopy", "Path_Array", "Path_SimpleCopy" ]
        dressupcmdlist = ["Path_DressupAxisMap", "Path_DressupPathBoundary", "Path_DressupDogbone", "Path_DressupDragKnife", "Path_DressupLeadInOut", "Path_DressupRampEntry", "Path_DressupTag"]
        extracmdlist = []
        #modcmdmore = ["Path_Hop",]
        #remotecmdlist = ["Path_Remote"]
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here I have Menu->Path->Path Modification->Simple Copy
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

I have asked similar question but it was not for Path. I think I understand what's wrong.

today, we have this wiki page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_SimpleCopy
I looked for this icone in the GUI of Freecad and I can not find it:
icone and naming
icone and naming
Capture du 2019-12-16 22-49-59.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Freecad GUI shows:
freecad gui
freecad gui
Capture du 2019-12-16 22-45-30.png (167.74 KiB) Viewed 850 times
so, to what the page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Copy is corresponding to in Freecad?

Vocx, if I refer to the Github you gave, we read that there is an operation called Path_OperationCopy. I looked for it into the wiki and it doesn't exist but we well see it in the GUI. In French, "copier cette operation dans la tache". more, there is no function Path_Copy in Github.

so I think the page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Copy can be rename Path_OperationCopy and describes this missing function. what do you think?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You may ask this in the Path subform, where the Path experts are watching. A link to this topic may be sufficient.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

david69 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 pm ...

so I think the page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Copy can be rename Path_OperationCopy and describes this missing function. what do you think?
Yes, this seems to be the solution.

It sounds like in the past many Path functions were renamed, but the wiki documentation was not updated accordingly, so it became out of sync pretty bad.

Also, about the icons, it seems like in the past there were many icons designed, but many of them were not used, and were changed. So, also check this. The real icon is the one that appears on GitHub and on the program. If there is a different icon in the wiki, this may be an old icon that is no longer used.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

about icon, not only the wiki, there is also a mess even in the GUI. well, mess is not the correct word: all the function under path->dressup are the same.

about the page, I am not capable to write it. only translating gives headaches in particular when you don't know anything about the topic. the good point, I'm learning.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

david69 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:32 pm ...
about the page, I am not capable to write it. only translating gives headaches in particular when you don't know anything about the topic. the good point, I'm learning.
Well, I urge you to get familiar with the software before trying to do major edits.

Translating something is not so difficult. We could just use an automated service like Google translate or something like that. The idea is that whoever writes the documentation is also a good user of the software. So, if you want to improve this part, get familiar with it, and then come back to work on the documentation.