Non-Looped Contour/Edge Cutting?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Non-Looped Contour/Edge Cutting?

Post by chrisb »

Why not just linking the topic or at least the file?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37125
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I did link the file. The link does not say more than I said here.

In fact, to clean up the material I needed come in from the end until it cleaned up. This would mean running the engrave job and shifting machine zero each time. I ended up doing the facing by hand written Gcode typed into a serial comms program.

This does seem to be feature which is lacking in FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:08 am I did link the file. The link does not say more than I said here.
You didn't link it, you uploaded it twice.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Sorry , I failed to appreciate the subtility of your critique.
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

Thank you RealThunder for opening my eyes to Feature Area tool and the power behind it. Get ready for a tutorial about this amazing thing we call Path wokbench and FreeCad.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload a file with a working example? I tried recently and could not get it working.
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

Note the Feature2 example does not have myPath operation in the job tree(group). The pocket operation in there was to see if it would do a tool path like i wanted which myPath does. I wanted the tool starting on the outside and working its way in.

In the featurepathexample 3 file I only worked with sketches (same part as featurepathexample 2 without a solid body). I created my FeatureArea then generated the toolpath from those shapes. I then Created a job in the path workbench. Added myPath and myPath003 to the job and created a tool controller for it. I will be using this part as the example for my upcoming tutorial on reversing then creating a toolpath with path workbenches FeatureArea tool.
featurepathexample3.FCStd
(73.95 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
featurepathexample2.FCStd
(61.67 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Attachments
FeatureAreaEx.png
FeatureAreaEx.png (118.42 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Is there a way that Feature Area and Dressup Boundary may work together or be consolidated into an improved workflow for area control? I wonder...
I remember somewhere in the discussion about 3D surface a demonstration that playing with the Stock was also generating limited area 3D pathing. I feel like PathWB has so many powerful tools at the moment and that it's grasping at a unified set that would catapult it at the forefront of open source cam (not that it's far away from it).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the examples. They are not easy to understand for me, so I'm waiting for your tutorial.
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41781 this will take you to the thread where the tutorial and video link info is. I hope this helps others