Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

Merged above thread in to this one.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
FIBMCad

Post by FIBMCad »

Dear all, good evening.

I'm trying to model the corner fo a Sheet Metal panel and I would like to obtain a semispherical corner.
I made a lot of trials, using also commands from other WB (part, part design,...).
At the end I was able to create the geometry described in the file attached (I used sufaces to create the corner geometry), but unfortunately, is not possible to unfold the panel :cry:

Is there a method to solve this problem?
Thnk you in advance.
Attachments
Model.FCStd
(267.62 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

Undevelopeable faces like spheres can be unwrapped with MeshDesign WB->Unwrap mesh

Screenshot 001.png
Screenshot 001.png (66.73 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Model-unwrapped.FCStd
(580.38 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
FIBMCad

Post by FIBMCad »

Cool!! What about k_factor?
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

Fra88 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:54 am What about k_factor?
Let's looo pass a comment :roll:
looo wrote: :bell:
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

UR_ wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:08 am Let's looo pass a comment
Theoretically, it would be possible to add something like a k-factor with finite-elements too, but currently, the mesh-unwrapping doesn't include this. The algorithm minimizes only the energy introduced by linear membrane-deformation. As I understand, the k-faktor is a compensation-factor for plastic-deformation due to bending deformation. Theoretically, it should be possible to use shell-elements and "plastic relaxation" to remove introduced bending stresses.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Whith mi experiance I can finish your unfold by hand
If you do it in sheetmetal , you have to finish by hand to use a "bigorne" (french world) and small hamer (planer) and weld it
If you need stemp it exemple cooker or car bodie , Fc can't unfold it , only a very powerful CAD can do it (use by airplane cie or bodie car cie)
Attachments
sphérical corner.PNG
sphérical corner.PNG (29.93 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
spherical corner.FCStd
(130.95 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:24 am only a very powerful CAD can do it (use by airplane cie or bodie car cie)
To dampen expectations in case you want to switch to another system: It's not only a question of how powerful a CAD system is. It is a mathematical question and a part of a sphere or similar 3D surface cannot be unfolded without loss.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:47 am
papyblaise wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:24 am only a very powerful CAD can do it (use by airplane cie or bodie car cie)
To dampen expectations in case you want to switch to another system: It's not only a question of how powerful a CAD system is. It is a mathematical question and a part of a sphere or similar 3D surface cannot be unfolded without loss.
I would second this. It is a very math intensive issue.

Ask me about teaching a class of Boeing engineers how to use a sheet metal package of a CAD program many years ago. A student called me over and pointed at the error on the screen: "Klaus's hairy error!".

Klaus was the chief mathematician for our company... :lol: :o
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

:lol:
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.