[Solved] Two wiki pages with typos

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JoshuaCall

[Solved] Two wiki pages with typos

Post by JoshuaCall »

I believe that I have found two pages on the wiki with typos.

The first page is the Creating a simple part with PartDesign tutorial. Where the tutorial says "Click on Image Axonometric view" I think it would be better for it to say "Click on Image Isometric view." The toolbar button with the symbol Image says "Set to isometric view (0)" when I hover over it, so I think that the tutorial would be more clear if the word "Axonometric" was changed to "Isometric." There are two instances in this tutorial where I believe that "axonometric" should be changed to "isometric." Also, the icon used for "top view" Image is not the current icon used for "top view" in the FreeCAD GUI (it's missing a vertical line segment). The correct icon looks more like this:
top-view.png
top-view.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 578 times

The second page in the wiki is the Localisation page. The wiki says "In FreeCAD you can set the language of the user interface under Edit → Preferences → Application." However, this setting is actually found under Edit → Preferences → General.

I would appreciate it if someone could correct these errors on the wiki or let me know if I am wrong in my thinking or understanding.

Thank you,
Joshua
Last edited by JoshuaCall on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoshuaCall

Re: Two wiki pages with typos

Post by JoshuaCall »

Also, as a side note, almost none of the images on the tutorials home page are showing up for me in Chromium or Firefox. Could anyone confirm if they are having the same problem?

Thanks,
Joshua
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Yep, that's related to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41797, thanks for reporting, I will look into it.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshuaCall wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 am The wiki says "In FreeCAD you can set the language of the user interface under Edit → Preferences → Application." However, this setting is actually found under Edit → Preferences → General.
Would it still be understandable if I change it to Preferences → General? On MacOS Preferences are not placed in the edit menu.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JoshuaCall

Post by JoshuaCall »

chrisb wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 am
JoshuaCall wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 am The wiki says "In FreeCAD you can set the language of the user interface under Edit → Preferences → Application." However, this setting is actually found under Edit → Preferences → General.
Would it still be understandable if I change it to Preferences → General? On MacOS Preferences are not placed in the edit menu.
Maybe it would be best to simply say how to find it for each operating system.
JoshuaCall

Post by JoshuaCall »

Also, in the Creating a simple part with PartDesign tutorial, where it says "Select the Body part1 body and go to the lower part of the Combo View," it should say "Select the Body part1 body and go to the lower part of the Property View."

Thanks
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

JoshuaCall wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:53 am ... go to the lower part of the Combo View," it should say "Select the Body part1 body and go to the lower part of the Property View."
The combo view is composed of two parts. The upper part holds the tree view and task panel, and the lower part is the property editor.

You can request a wiki account and make these modifications yourself. We need more people willing to look after the wiki to keep it up to date.

Some of the errors that you've found are due to the pages being very old. Over the years some options have moved in the interface so it is not uncommon that the pages have outdated information.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
JoshuaCall

Post by JoshuaCall »

Alright, thanks.