FEM regions restrictions depends of order in tree

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Adel Chepkunov

FEM regions restrictions depends of order in tree

Post by Adel Chepkunov »

Hello, all.

I found a very inconvenient behavior. If I make mesh for some CompoundFilter object and set max element size for two neighboard regions then result depend of order of regions. If maxsize for second region more then max size for first region, then size of lements in first region near boundar will be more then limit for first region.

It will be not awful, if I can change order in tree. If I wand add new region, I should delete many count of regions before and add ones again after.

But it will be better if the order will does not matter.

BTW, for add region by hotkeys ("M, G"), I should click to mesh even if another region selected in this mesh. It is non convenient also.

BR,
Adel
UR_
Veteran

Re: FEM regions restrictions depends of order in tree

Post by UR_ »

If mesh regions are direct neighbors with sharing edge and therefore sharing vertexes, the later declared region has right-of-way.
From inner rectangles the right one is declared later.

Screenshot 001.png
Screenshot 001.png (69.92 KiB) Viewed 1269 times

If they don't touch, so they don't share vertexes, mesh refinements are independently

Screenshot 004.png
Screenshot 004.png (41.84 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

Adel Chepkunov wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:23 pm It will be not awful, if I can change order in tree. If I wand add new region, I should delete many count of regions before and add ones again after.
Partial help is to drug MeshRegion object and drop it to the parent mesh object, so that it is inserted as a last child.
Adel Chepkunov

Post by Adel Chepkunov »

UR_ wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:48 pm If mesh regions are direct neighbors with sharing edge and therefore sharing vertexes, the later declared region has right-of-way.
Yes, it is. But I want mesh whick like to mesh in up-left corner more then mesh in left-down corner. So, I get mesh like mesh in up-right corner from time to time.
Adel Chepkunov

Post by Adel Chepkunov »

fandaL wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:36 pm Partial help is to drug MeshRegion object and drop it to the parent mesh object, so that it is inserted as a last child.
May be. I'll try to do it. Thank you!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Adel:
do you have an example file to reproduce the problem.

@_UR:
would be cool to have your great explanation somewhere in the wiki.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

UR_ wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:48 pm If mesh regions are direct neighbors with sharing edge and therefore sharing vertexes, the later declared region has right-of-way.
Is this a problem we should solve or is this a problem the user should be aware of because it is meshing knowledge?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

later declared means the later declared in gmsh geofile. I wonder if later in tree in any case means later in geo file. The one who should know this is me ... :shock:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:31 pm
later declared means the later declared in gmsh geofile. I wonder if later in tree in any case means later in geo file. The one who should know this is me ... :shock:
Yes it should be this way. The tree shows the order the same way the list is declared in the mesh region property of the parents mesh. To get the region in geo file it will be itereated over this list. Thus:
fandaL wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:36 pm
Adel Chepkunov wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:23 pm It will be not awful, if I can change order in tree. If I wand add new region, I should delete many count of regions before and add ones again after.
Partial help is to drug MeshRegion object and drop it to the parent mesh object, so that it is inserted as a last child.
this changes order in tree and oder in mesh region list of parent mesh. Thus this should do the trick.

Would be good to have some feedback.