Simple 29 gallon (~400 lbs) aquarium stand

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grvsharma

Simple 29 gallon (~400 lbs) aquarium stand

Post by grvsharma »

Hi all,

A while ago I used FreeCAD to design an aquarium stand. Sharing the FreeCAD file, in case it may be useful to someone else.

The final stand photo is attached as well. I changed a few things on the fly, i.e. the width of the table and the height of the middle shelf, and have not updated the CAD model, as anyone using it would probably adapt it anyway.

I did not have a lot of tools, just made it with mainly a saw (got the big pieces cut already at Home Depot), a hammer and a drill. The `workbench' was the packaging box of the subwoofer you see on the left with a cheap OSB board on top. If you notice the top 2x2 bars (supporting the table top) touch each other---that square was the starting point, and got the legs attached. There is a bit of alignment mismatch, it leans a bit towards the front and to the right, which I fixed with small pieces of cardboard (seen in the pic). I and the fishes are all very happy with it :)

I am hoping to post more complicated projects in the future. This one got me familiar with the basics.

Many thanks to all the good people supporting and developing FreeCAD and a Happy New Year 2020 to all!

Best,
Gaurav
Attachments
AquariumStand.jpg
AquariumStand.jpg (656.74 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
AauariumStandScreenshot.png
AauariumStandScreenshot.png (419.15 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
AquariumStand.FCStd
(93.17 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
thschrader
Veteran

Re: Simple 29 gallon (~400 lbs) aquarium stand

Post by thschrader »

Nice work, I like aquariums!
The yellow dot, is that a snail?
BTW: when loading your file, I get quadratic legs, not rectangular as shown above.
Another file?
yellow_dot.JPG
yellow_dot.JPG (13.17 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
aquarium_leg.JPG
aquarium_leg.JPG (43.76 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
grvsharma

Post by grvsharma »

Aah yes, sorry that was the more ambitious v1 of the design. The 4x4 were heavy and I figured I would struggle to assemble it.

In the one I actually made (after a bit of downsizing), I could make a rectangular frame with 2x2 (top one) and get the lighter 2x4 legs to attach to them to get it going.

The new file is attached.

Thanks for the appreciation, and <delete>yes that is a Nerite snail!</delete> no that is a rock but there are three Nerite snails in there. You can see one on the driftwood branch 2nd from the right on the top (orange dot, about half the diameter of the rock).
Attachments
AquariumStandActual.FCStd
(71.32 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

And I see Douglas Adams in the shelf, :thumbsup:
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
grvsharma

Post by grvsharma »

Yes sir!