Big merge day

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gdo35

Re: Big merge day

Post by gdo35 »

When do you plan to merge ? :P
I want to test it ! :mrgreen:
maidenone

Post by maidenone »

The assembly module is starting to get usable now so i would also like to see a merge :D
gdo35

Post by gdo35 »

no news about merge day ? :mrgreen:
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Steady boys, steady ..... ;)
Stop whining - start coding!
gabrielzorrilla

Post by gabrielzorrilla »

Hi there. I downloaded the nightly and the Assembly moduled had nothing, are you working with internal builds?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

We are working with the git version control system. Currently you have to checkout the assembly branch and compile yourself to get access to the module. See the sourceforge page for git access.
gestalt73

Post by gestalt73 »

hey, I've grabbed dev-assembly, and compiled just fine using the instructions.

Can I get any hints as to how the assembly module works? Maybe a quick couple of lines about how it's intended that an assembly is made?

I have a Assembly1->Product->Parts, then import another project with lots of parts, but how do I associate existing parts and relate them?

When I try the PartDesign boolean operation to fuse a Body object with a Part object, I get an error about "Cannot do boolean operation with invalid base feature".

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Alan
gestalt73

Post by gestalt73 »

OK, searching through more of the forum I came across this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4193&hilit=assembly#p32891

I'm a little fuzzy about what's supposed to happen once you double click on the body of a part.
Is there some additional step to associate or convert a part?
switch to assembly workbench. That should create a initial product which is active (violet background in tree).
In this product you can add parts and products. double click on the Body of a part will get you into the PartDesign workbench, where you can add geometry. After that go back to assembly by double click a product.
After adding geometry you can add constraints for the active product to order the parts.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

parts can only hold bodys. That means that old freecad projects which don't have the body feature can not be put into a part. Jan wrote a conversion tool for that purpose, but that has not been merged yet. If you have a body outside a part and want to add it to a part, you currently need to use the python console. Look at the output of the gui "add part" command to see how it's done.

Jan wrote also a nice tutorial on how to use the new part design features, have a look at http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... Tutorial_I . If you double click the body inside the part you can model anything you want, it will be grouped beneath the body feature (thats the purpose of it).

To assemble stuff you need multiple parts. than you can select any geometrie on two different parts (maybe two faces) and hit the constraint button (e.g. coincident). I started writing a tutorial, but it's not exceeded the theoretical basics, so not too useful up to now. http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... c_Tutorial Just remember it's draft, pictures are inconsitent etc.

Because of the mentioned shortcommings the workbench is not realy easy usable up to now, but if you still go on testing I would like to hear you opinion about the constraints and solver part. Dos it work as expected? Dos anything solve as it should?

Stefan
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Dos anything solve as it should?
This sounds like you trust your own solver not at all :D