FOSDEM 2020 anyone?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FOSDEM 2020 anyone?

Post by Kunda1 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for representing :ugeek:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

I'll be there and super excited to finally be able to meet with some of you !
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

Hey, I just heard about this FOSDEM thing. I need to get back up to speed with this FreeCAD thing, among all my other projects.

I can get there a day early to Brussels for all of January 31, if there's going to be anyone else there too. Is this likely?

One thing we ought to talk about is how to establish some kind of a FreeCAD focused congress meetings to have it out regarding the different issues that may be bugging outsiders more than it is the core developers who make the decisions. It's these kinds of longer meetings that are really useful for moving other OSS projects forward by making change possible.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I'll be at the MiniDebCamp at Hackerspace Bruxelles on the 30th & 31st: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/be ... iniDebCamp
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
gAdlike

Post by gAdlike »

yorik wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:55 pm Great! Tell us if yes and who, it would be great to meet.

We will have a FreeCAD talk, that we'll give all 3 (sliptonic, kkremitzki and me) together: https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/freecad/
And we're trying to foment a kind of side event too. At least have a room where we can sit and chat.
I'm making some merch too, stickers that I'll bring together, and t-shirts that I'm thinking of printing in Brussels prior to the event. I'll also share the file here so anyone can print one at home too.
Yes, I (Alexander Malyshev) will take a part in this event. You can find my talk via link:
https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/opencascade/
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

I'll be arriving in Brussels on the Thursday, so I'll have all of Friday there. (Brad says he's there all that day too.) Now I have 2 weeks to get back up to speed, having been distracted by all my other projects.

My understanding, though, is things get rather beery Friday afternoon, which is why my friend who told me about FOSDEM goes early. I can't see beer+inevitable hang-overs working too well at my age, so I'd like to do as much coding type stuff as I can with anyone interested to delay the drinking as much as possible.
toralf

Post by toralf »

Hi,

I’ve never been to FOSDEM. What will you exactly be doing there (beside giving the talk)? I’m considering to drive there for the weekend (Feb 1&2). But it is a 6 hour drive for me and I would like to understand what you”ll be doing and if I could participate. I do not know to program in python nor c++. But I have some experience in the macro script language AutoHotkey and been using CAD and FEM for several years at work. Thus, I”m more a normal end user with interest in FreeCAD.
So, my question is, will it be worthwhile for me to drive to Brussels? Could I contribute or participate in any activity?
Or will it be mainly a hangout of hardcore devs and people are walking from talk to talk?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hey everybody!
We're getting prepared for FOSDEM here...

For who is thinking of coming: The whole weekend (saturday + sunday) is usually very, very packed, with really a lot of people and tens of events happening at the same time. I would advise to have a look at the schedule first and look for the events you want to attend first.

Our FreeCAD talk is part of a track dedicated to 3D, CNC and open design. We will likely have a few rooms all together there, there might be interesting talks to have with folks from other projects too. I'm now looking with FOSDEM people if we can have a room or at least a small place where we can sit, showcase FreeCAD and discuss about it. I'll post it here when I know exactly where. So basically, just pop up, that will be great!

I'll have some FreeCAD stickers to distribute, and I also printed a few t-shirts, if anyone wants to buy one, I'll bring them there too. Otherwise, here is the file so anyone can print more t-shirts on their own: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0mzczg9a6n4i ... d.png?dl=0
tshirts.jpg
tshirts.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
Attached are the two files needed to produce stickers (one is the print and one is the cut contour)

I'm also looking with the Brussels Hackerspace people, I'll go visit there tonight. They are interested in hosting a small FreeCAD event there too, probably just sitting there and talking FreeCAD for a while... They have a good slot on thursday 28th in the afternoon, but I think we can also do that after FOSDEM, (tuesday 4th maybe?) that might be better. But it also depends on who'll be there. We could also try friday or monday.

About FOSDEM being a "beer" event, that's quite true, half the people there are holding beers all the time :) but don't worry too much about it, there are also a lot who are not keen to drink, and it all works nicely and happily. Last time I went I happened to not drink a single one... :?
Attachments
sticker freecad - couleur.svg
(9.18 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
sticker freecad - contour de coupe.svg
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Can we also schedule a documentation sprint for 0.19 Release that coincides with one of the FC FOSDEM hacking sessions for attendees (and non-attendees) ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

That could be a good idea indeed!