Unwanted grid keeps coming back

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
robinh

Unwanted grid keeps coming back

Post by robinh »

I am using V19 and following the nstructions to put a placeholder. But a grid seems to cover the face and then I can't select it. I turn the gid off, save and exit. Then run a fresh copy. But there is the grid again. Is the grid covering the face or is there some other reason I ca't get the External geometry tool to find the corner of the face.

I admit I had problems messing around ealier and not arrive at this point by a direct tutorial path.

One other question. How to cut and paste just a fully constrained sketch from one place to another. When I cut, am just getting the 2D sketch or do axes come with it. Some sketches are complicated and I would like to reuse them or move them to where they should have been in the first place.

I often goof and end up in corners where it is difficult to get out! My usual fix is exit FC completely saving. Then start with clean code and file.

Note also that I can't use Create planar image with my Radeon Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB PCI-E video card after updating all drivers this am. Get protection violation. It is a known issue??

Thanks for any help.
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Unwanted grid keeps coming back

Post by papyblaise »

hi
set "Preferance you can see somewhere in the Sketcher seting a clik with "Active Grid : unclick it ; and in Draft seting too ; or for more secur unselect the snap bar in Draft wb if you don't use it
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

robinh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:38 pm I am using V19 and following the nstructions to put a placeholder. ....
You are not even mentioning which workbenches you are using. Important information.

It sounds like Sketcher Workbench. Please be complete; provide as much information as possible, and also screenshots, or test files.

What you describe sounds just like the Sketcher grid is displayed automatically. You can just turn it off by default in the Sketcher Preferences.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
robinh

Post by robinh »

OK. I changed Show-grid in Sketcher preferences and grid is gone.

My sketch lies on a face.
If I put the External geometry gizmo on the corner, I get a stop sign. If I try to put it further in the face, I get a message in Report view:
"Selected external reference plane must be normal to sketch plane.The sketch looks to be in the face.
Failed to add external geometry: Not able to add external shape element"
Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please provide a testfile with a detailed description of how to reproduce.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
robinh

Post by robinh »

I will start a new topic that describes the problem:' Extrernal geometry will not select edge'. This one is about grid and is solved