[solved] Uninstalling FreeCAD (on Windows 10) isn't fully successful

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Markus40

[solved] Uninstalling FreeCAD (on Windows 10) isn't fully successful

Post by Markus40 »

[solved]

Thank you
flyboy2160

Re: [solved] Uninstalling FreeCAD (on Windows 10) isn't fully successful

Post by flyboy2160 »

How can I uninstall the pre 19 version from Windows 7? It does not show up as an installed program in the control panel?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

flyboy2160 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 pm How can I uninstall the pre 19 version from Windows 7? It does not show up as an installed program in the control panel?
Remove the folder. May I ask why do you want to remove it?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

flyboy2160 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 pm How can I uninstall the pre 19 version from Windows 7? It does not show up as an installed program in the control panel?
This version does not use the installer, so it is not registered to Windows.
This is not good because just deleting the FreeCAD folder is not sufficient - there are traces in the user folders and they will stay there and cause problems when you install a new version of FreeCAD.

I'll contact the author of your pre-releases and request if he could provide the pre-releases also using the installer.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't think we should change the current state, because uninstalling a development version would remove all preferences for the stable version as well. But we should document what has to be removed in case of a MrProper cleanup.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:38 pm I don't think we should change the current state, because uninstalling a development version would remove all preferences for the stable version as well.
That is no the case, only if the user explicitly set the option in the uninstaller to do this.