no default size for RichTextAnnotations

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

no default size for RichTextAnnotations

Post by uwestoehr »

- take this example document:
TD-test.FCStd
test file
(137.59 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

- select the bottom view and insert a RichtText Annotation. In the appearing dialog just type in "test"

result: You cannot see the annotation, despite it is there:
view with RichText annotation
view with RichText annotation
FreeCAD_j9skEStWbc.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 1698 times

The reason is that there is no default text size. So the tinyiest possible size is taken, making it unreadable.
Solution: The RichtText annotation should have the same default text size like the normal annotations. (which is 8 mm here)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19263 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c4ca00a1d5b7922ef1d2ae3e820bb34ffdb64d9f
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: no default size for RichTextAnnotations

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm The reason is that there is no default text size. So the tinyiest possible size is taken, making it unreadable.
Solution: The RichtText annotation should have the same default text size like the normal annotations. (which is 8 mm here)
Should be better after git commit e290e9c4c9
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm Should be better after git commit e290e9c4c9
many thanks for the commit. It fixes the bug partly.

This still fails:
- select the bottom view and insert a RichtText Annotation. In the appearing dialog just type in "test" and click OK. (don't open the rich text editing window)

This works now:
- select the bottom view and insert a RichtText Annotation. In the appearing dialog click on "Start Rich Text Editor". Then type in "test". Now you have a default size (on my system it is 10).

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19299 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a285e89b2708de427fdce5b3b981a3ef630f5a4d
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:10 pm This still fails:
- select the bottom view and insert a RichtText Annotation. In the appearing dialog just type in "test" and click OK. (don't open the rich text editing window)
Not surprised, I didn't change anything in the dialog. I'll take a look when I get a minute.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:28 pm I'll take a look when I get a minute.
Thanks. I tested the RichTextAnnotations further and collected some issues here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42746
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:10 pm This still fails:
This is fixed by: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2968
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:28 pm This is fixed by: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2968
This isn't broken. In the current version, I get my system default(14 pt) text size. In your version I get tiny 10 pt text.

If you really need to set a default size, do it like the big editor and take it from preferences (int MRichTextEdit::getDefFontSizeNum(void)).
Attachments
defaultText.png
defaultText.png (41.49 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:06 am In the current version, I get my system default(14 pt) text size. In your version I get tiny 10 pt text.
Not here. At the moment I get no text size at all and therefore the text is not readable. Just add a new RichAnno to a ProjGroup view and assure that you don't call the rich text editor, just input the text to the dialog and press OK.

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<html><head><meta name="qrichtext" content="1" /><style type="text/css">
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
</style></head><body style=" font-family:'MS Shell Dlg 2'; font-size:8.25pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal;">
<p style=" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;">hello</p></body></html>
With my patch you get a text size and thus the annotation is readable. You can change the size later. The important thing is that users see the annotation they created. I mean I created some of them since I thought my action was never applied.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:39 pm Not here. At the moment I get no text size at all and therefore the text is not readable. Just add a new RichAnno to a ProjGroup view and assure that you don't call the rich text editor, just input the text to the dialog and press OK.

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<html><head><meta name="qrichtext" content="1" /><style type="text/css">
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
</style></head><body style=" font-family:'MS Shell Dlg 2'; font-size:8.25pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal;">
<p style=" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;">hello</p></body></html>
With my patch you get a text size and thus the annotation is readable. You can change the size later. The important thing is that users see the annotation they created. I mean I created some of them since I thought my action was never applied.
Tried a different machine this morning, still get text from the small editor. The html sample has a text size too (very small, though) - "font-size:8.25pt;".

10 point text is too small. It needs to be bigger.

Even better, use the default font size for labels or dimensions as a starting point.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:22 pm Tried a different machine this morning, still get text from the small editor. The html sample has a text size too (very small, though) - "font-size:8.25pt;".
I checked now 3 different PCS, one Win 7, 2 Win 10. On all machines I get no text size at all. With my patch I get on all 10 pt.

wandererfan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:22 pm 10 point text is too small. It needs to be bigger.
Even better, use the default font size for labels or dimensions as a starting point.
OK, so should I use 14 pt?
If not, I don't know how to set the font-size at runtime. I searched yesterday some forums and they said one has to do this in the UI file. So my patch is basically the solution I found in the forums.