Feature request : chamfer on sketch tool and fillet improvement

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Feature request : chamfer on sketch tool and fillet improvement

Post by paddle »

Currently there is only a fillet tool in the sketcher.
Adding a Chamfer tool would be nice.

Also the fillet tool could be improved, if a box appear to write radius and create the constraint automatically it would remove one step.
Also maybe the fillet tool could have preview following mouse, like when you draw a circle. And when you click it would release to the radius the user clicked. Unless he writes the radius and press enter.

kisolre
Veteran

Re: Feature request : chamfer on sketch tool and fillet improvement

Post by kisolre »

This should be split to a new thread...

Fillet is created with radius averaged between distances where the edges are clicked. And most of the time I personally create several fillets, then make them equal and dimension one of them... Having to each time add dimension, then remove it to add equality would not be very productive.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Post has been split and moved to Open discussion
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

kisolre wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:24 pm Fillet is created with radius averaged between distances where the edges are clicked. And most of the time I personally create several fillets, then make them equal and dimension one of them... Having to each time add dimension, then remove it to add equality would not be very productive.
The idea is not to make that mandatory, but that you can either click to make it without constraint, or enter the radius to make it automatically.

- Either you type radius and press enter in this case it create the radius constraint
- or double click on the second edge in which case it behaves as it does currently and create without the radius constraint.

Ok it replace one click by a double click in the case you don't want to enter radius, but that click is very fast. While adding the constraints takes more time.
Currently adding just one fillet you need to use two separate tools. First the fillet, then the radius constraint. If you know all the shortcut it may still be fast but for the new user it's slow.

In your case, you would enter radius for the first fillet, then for the others create them by double clicking. And in the end you only have to do the equality constraint. Still one step less, at the small cost of double clicking.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 am in : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23857
Hi, would be possible to add to Sketcher WB the tool to chamfer a corner, beside the tool to fillet a corner?
That would be a nice feature for Sketcher...
Maurice
Did anything happenned on that subject yet?

I want to make this feature (the chamfer tool). How to be sure it will be integrated in the source after? I read in the wiki developer hub, one should first make sure the feature will be added before developing it. In the case where it would be refused.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

paddle wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:15 am

I want to make this feature (the chamfer tool). How to be sure it will be integrated in the source after? I read in the wiki developer hub, one should first make sure the feature will be added before developing it. In the case where it would be refused.
I think this is a nice feature to be added to the main branch...
I don't think this will be refused if implemented...
You may ping some of the core devs to get more details...
Maurice
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

paddle wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:15 am Did anything happenned on that subject yet?

Did anything result from this? I am very interested in this feature and might be able to help you testing it.
Last edited by ToniTen on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Abdullah wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:03 pm Abdullah wrote:
ping
paddle wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:15 am
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 am in : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23857
Hi, would be possible to add to Sketcher WB the tool to chamfer a corner, beside the tool to fillet a corner?
That would be a nice feature for Sketcher...
Maurice

Sorry for the very long delay in my reply. Life is being specially demanding with lately.

I cannot see a reason why it won't be integrated if the code looks reasonable. It is new functionality. It is wanted functionality. I see no drawbacks. Hopefully end October/November I will be able to look into whatever you produce.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

paddle wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 am :bell:
bump
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs