[SOLVED] Help with linuxcnc_post?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AwesomeCronk

[SOLVED] Help with linuxcnc_post?

Post by AwesomeCronk »

I am trying to get a gcode exported for our schools cnc router. This is my first introduction to cnc. I am trying to export the CutMaterial object from the attached document to a gcode file using the linuxcnc_post processor. When it runs, I can see that the Python command runs, because I have the Python terminal visible. I am using the GUI to export. When I export, the file is created (I can see it in my recent files on windows), but it is somehow deleted, because it no longer exists in the target directory. Is this because I am running FC on Windows? What other post-processors would work for a Richauto B18 controller?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Edit: Here are the results of the different post-processors:
centroid_post:
-Popup dialogue, creates file.
-I have attached it here, with the extension changed to '.txt'.
CNC1.txt
(327 Bytes) Downloaded 55 times
comparams_post:
-Popup dialogue, no file.

dynapath_post:
-No popup, no file.

grbl_G81_post:
-No popup, no file.

grbl_post:
-No popup, no file.

linuxcnc_post:
-No popup, no file.

opensbp_post:
-No popup, no file.

philips_post:
-No popup, no file.

rml_post:
-Error popup: 'FeaturePython' has no attribute 'Path', no file.

smoothie_post:
-No popup, no file.
Attachments
CNC_Test_001.FCStd
(199.21 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by AwesomeCronk on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herbk
Veteran

Re: Help with linuxcnc_post?

Post by herbk »

Hi,
did you give the file a valid name?
It has to be like mygcodefile.ngc for LinuxCNC and you have to write the .ngc by yourself, only selecting the file type it's not enough.

Windows dosn't show files with no etcensions if i remember right...
Gruß Herbert
AwesomeCronk

Post by AwesomeCronk »

@herbk

The test files were all .gcode files. I will try the .ngc extension tonight. Thanks!
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Guys be carefull !

The at the first post attached file "CNC_Test_001.FCStd" seamst to be compromited :

At opening the file i get the message:

Code: Select all

The mesh data structure has some defects
If i open the File and try to export a gcode file it dos not work, i dont get an output file.
After opening this file i'm also not able to export an gcode file from each other, also an new made, Job :!:

The file seams to change something at the Path scrips, using the export button shows the error maessage:

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'Path_Post' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAzyCaic/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPost.py", line 390, in Activated
    (fail, rc) = self.exportObjectsWith(finalpostlist, job)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAzyCaic/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPost.py", line 212, in exportObjectsWith
    gcode = processor.export(objs, filename, postArgs)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAzyCaic/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPostProcessor.py", line 102, in export
    return self.script.export(obj, filename, args)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAzyCaic/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/post/centroid_post.py", line 170, in export
    if isinstance(item.Proxy, PathScripts.PathToolController.ToolController):

'_TempObject' object has no attribute 'Proxy'

At using the AppImage it's not a big problem, after new starting FC Path export works again, but i'm in mind a regular installation gets infected.
Gruß Herbert
AwesomeCronk

Post by AwesomeCronk »

That is interesting. Did you launch FC from the file (double click on the file) or did you launch FC, then open the file? I am not at the computer where I made it, but I have 0.18 on this PC. I will try both and tell what I see.

Edit:
I tried both on my personal Windows PC and they both opened without an issue. I guess you are using MacOS or Linux, given that you mentioned an AppImage, and that may be causing the difference.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You should indeed retry with current 0.19. Path workbench has received many improvements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

works for me, both 0.18 and 0.19: set postprocessor to linuxcnc, file name %D/%d.ngc, post process -> popup dialog shows up, file gets saved.
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

AwesomeCronk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:01 pm I am trying to export the CutMaterial object from the attached document to a gcode file using the linuxcnc_post processor.
um, you don't export the cutmaterial object, you select the job and click the post process buttonn; honestly I don't think the cut material object should be even added to the document, since it's just a simulation output, and it seems to confuse new users
AwesomeCronk

Post by AwesomeCronk »

@m0n5t3r

I tried that. I got a centroid_post generated file, 'CNC2.ngc'. I chose the extension, but I had no option to choose the post processor. Attached is the resulting file, again, with the extension changed to '.txt'.

Then I tried exporting the cutmaterial object, contradictory to what you said. I used linuxcnc_post and the filename was 'CNC3.ngc'. No results. The only reason I have been trying this route is the following video tutorial:

phpBB [video]
Attachments
CNC2.txt
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

you choose the post-processor in job settings, like this: https://matrix.m0n5t3r.info/_matrix/med ... qCNidICnWW