[BUG + crash] ?!?- Thickness on pipe element

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
m.cavallerin

[BUG + crash] ?!?- Thickness on pipe element

Post by m.cavallerin »

Hi,

if I add a thickness function to a pipe element built with sweep, the program fails.
And If a set make it inwards FC crashes.

Cheers Michele
Attachments
Sweep1.FCStd
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Screenshot from 2020-02-02 04-44-06.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-02 04-44-06.png (62.89 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [BUG + crash] ?!?- Thickness on pipe element

Post by chrisb »

(Moved from PartDesign development forum where you should post if you contribute to developing that workbench)
Thickness is one of the most picky functions in FreeCAD, yet the issues come from the OCC geometric kernel used and FreeCAD developers cannot do much about it.

Nevertheless FreeCAD should not crash. Please retry with a current 0.19. If the crash persists, attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.

Edit: Outward thickness works here, but I can confirm the crash on inwards thickness.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19405 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d2b943e8b7d8fe2673a4e20671b6cb0f8180fdbd
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please make the tests mentioned above anyway, as it may be interesting for the developers to know if the crash is system dependent. But you can achieve your goal by using a different profile for sweep, such as
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-c96ef8.png
Snip macro screenshot-c96ef8.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Bends are very tight in relation to the pipe diameter. You should use "round corner" option to help Freecad. ;)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Can confirm crash when making thickness inward. Unfortunately I guess this comes from OCC (despite we maybe could handle that).
However issue is quite understandable. In your pipe, you're using a 20 mm radius circle as profile while the path contains 20 mm radius arcs. This creates kind of 'superimposed' edges intersection that are then complex to handle.
You can just test using eg. a 15 mm radius for the profile and then everything goes well. ;)
m.cavallerin

[SOLVED] - Thickness on pipe element

Post by m.cavallerin »

openBrain wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 am Can confirm crash when making thickness inward. Unfortunately I guess this comes from OCC (despite we maybe could handle that).
However issue is quite understandable. In your pipe, you're using a 20 mm radius circle as profile while the path contains 20 mm radius arcs. This creates kind of 'superimposed' edges intersection that are then complex to handle.
You can just test using eg. a 15 mm radius for the profile and then everything goes well. ;)
Sorry for late reply, but the post has been moved and I thought it has been deleted...in any case:
Yes, indeed it was a fault on bending radius; setting it to the value of 20,001mm (or higher) with outder diametr equal to 20mm, the function works properly.

thx.

Michele
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] - Thickness on pipe element

Post by openBrain »

m.cavallerin wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:35 am Sorry for late reply, but the post has been moved and I thought it has been deleted...in any case:
You can always find your posts on Tools->My Post on top of the page. ;)
Yes, indeed it was a fault on bending radius; setting it to the value of 20,001mm (or higher) with outder diametr equal to 20mm, the function works properly.
Correct. But a crash always should be prevented as it can lead to data loss. Guys, agree with that and that it deserve a ticket ?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] - Thickness on pipe element

Post by chrisb »

Yes.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »