Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
racemaniac

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by racemaniac »

Zolko wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 pm
racemaniac wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:53 pm
dwebman wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm I just updated the Assembly 4 workbench and have run into a problem When entering a variable quantity, using float, I am restricted to two digits prior to the decimal point. The correct value can, however, be entered into the property view of the variable.
Same issue here. I encountered a similar issue in the animate box, there i could only enter 3 digits before the decimal point.
Besides that, love the workbench :)
well done, you know how to talk to people :ugeek: . Now I will definitively have to have a look. I have anyway lots of small fixes in the pipeline, will make an update.
:lol:

It's also worth fixing since you encounter it in your second tutorial. I was following it, had to make the variables with values 100 & 300. For the 100 variable i could enter 99.99 as value, but not 100 XD (and the 300 was way out of range). Felt like an idiot that i had to be missing something XD. Luckily figured out that i could then later on alter the value in the list with variables, and there the limit was gone. For the animate it's limited to 3 digits it seems, and there no work around is possible i think?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

racemaniac wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:35 am For the animate it's limited to 3 digits it seems, and there no work around is possible i think?
Thank-you for pointing this out. I have to check, but I think these are simply default values that can be altered.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

Zolko wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:54 am
racemaniac wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:35 am For the animate it's limited to 3 digits it seems, and there no work around is possible i think?
Thank-you for pointing this out. I have to check, but I think these are simply default values that can be altered.
I meant that with the current version, i can make a variable and later change its value to what i really need. But if i want to animate a value beyond 999, i'm stuck until the codechange is made. There is no other place to alter the begin/end values.

But it should indeed be a simple codechange (although with software you never know :p).
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

great news, user dubstar-04 has made a video for the tutorial 1 of the Assembly4 workbench: https://youtu.be/n04M6nFvdxs. Enjoy:

phpBB [video]
gbgb

Post by gbgb »

I have been searching through the tutorials and this thread and could not find the answer to the following:
Is it possible to use parts that were created in part design WB, but not by accessing it through A4?
Asking this because if I create a file with A4 (crate a model, save file, re-open) and then try to insert a part that was previously made with part design (and is currently open) I get an empty list in the dialog box. Seems that the list refers only to parts which are already in the parts list of the model tree, but could not figure out how to get an existing part into this list.
The tutorials only refer to work done entirely from within the A4 WB.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

gbgb wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:14 pm Is it possible to use parts that were created in part design WB, but not by accessing it through A4?
try to insert a part that was previously made with part design
be careful: PartDesign WB doesn't produce Parts, it produces Bodies. It is entirely possible to use Parts made with the Part WB with Assembly4, but if you want to use Bodies made with the PartDesign WB you need first to create a Part and move the Body into that Part.

In light of this, can you please rephrase your question ?
dxp.dev

Post by dxp.dev »

Zolko wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm
be careful: PartDesign WB doesn't produce Parts, it produces Bodies. It is entirely possible to use Parts made with the Part WB with Assembly4, but if you want to use Bodies made with the PartDesign WB you need first to create a Part and move the Body into that Part.
Thanks for the explanation ! I was banging my head on that.

You may want to put that very sentence in the tutorials (and on the WB description)
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
steve123

Post by steve123 »

Eureka ... thanks for that explanation of "Bodies" versus "Parts".

I do not mean to sound sarcastic but shouldn't "Part Design Workbench" be renamed "Body Design Workbench"? I think that would clear up a lot of confusion.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

steve123 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 pm Eureka ... thanks for that explanation of "Bodies" versus "Parts".
Body, Part, Shape, Assembly.

Unfortunately the terminology used in FreeCAD over the years hasn't been particularly stable. People have used different nouns to refer to different things or even to the same thing. This depends on the users' previous experience with other CAD systems, the users' native language, and even just personal preference. This is still a work in progress so terminology is up for debate.

The PartDesign Body was formally created in 0.17, together with Std_Part. At that point the PartDesign Workbench already existed, so renaming the workbench may have been more confusing than just creating a new type of object.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
gbgb

Post by gbgb »

In light of this, can you please rephrase your question ?
Thaks for the explantion.
I only recently started to explore FC seriously. I see that I am not the only one that did not pay attention to the terminology of body, part etc.
I will try to convert my already made bodies to parts and use them.