Task_panel and Task Panel: it is not the same

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

Task_panel and Task Panel: it is not the same

Post by david69 »

in PartDesign_Fillet, [[Task Panel]] has been introduced.

on the English page of PartDesign_Fillet, if we click on the "Task Panel", int he following page:
In Fillet parameters in the Task Panel, set the fillet radius either by entering the value, or by clicking on the up/down arrows. The applied fillet is shown in real time.
we jump to the expected page except if we look carefully, it is not direct.

if i translate with [[Task Panel/fr|Panneau des tâches]], we don't reach the expected page. In order to get it, I must write [[Task_panel/fr|Panneau des tâches]].

this is an example but I remark that recently, such things happens more and more on couple page references: on the English page of the wiki, everything works (except it gives the impression that we jump through an intermediate page), on the translate page no if we are "dumb" and we simply translate as usual by adding /fr|ma_traduction.

unfortunately, i don't remember the other cases i've met.

pls, to the writers modifying the English pages, be aware that the result is not the same btw both and in one case, there is an issue with the translation.
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Task_panel and Task Panel: it is not the same

Post by renatorivo »

Task_Panel: #REDIRECT [[Task panel]]
Created Task_Panel/fr: #REDIRECT [[Task panel/fr]]
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

renatorivo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 pm ...
Created Task_Panel/fr: #REDIRECT [[Task panel/fr]]
I suggest not doing this. It's better to fix the problem, and use the correct link both in the English page and in any translation after that.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

same problem here Import_Export_Preference with Import Export in the following sentence:

Note: A shorter more concise description table can be found on the Import Export wiki page.

i replaced [[Import Export]] by [[ Import_Export]]
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

david69 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:28 am ...
i replaced [[Import Export]] by [[ Import_Export]]
This doesn't matter. Pages cannot have spaces, so each space is substituted by an underscore.

Inside links spaces and underscores are treated the same, so Import Export and Import_Export are the same page, but the second one looks uglier. What you need is to use a "piped link", [[Import_Export|Import Export]].
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

exactly, that's what i want to underline.
in the English master wiki pages, the writers must write that so when a translator translates, it works.

today we have
[[Import Export]]

doing
[[Import_Export]] is ugly and fixes partially this issue.

the best is what you have written
[[Import_Export|Import Export]] which [[Import_Export/fr|Importation Exportation]].
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The last possibility is also what NormandC recommended. He has don much if not most of the french translation. The advantage is, that only the english author has to do the slightly more complicated stuff once, and all translators can benefit from it. This is even more important, as translators don't really need wiki syntax know how.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.