Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

A new version of the Assembly4 workbench is out, with quite some big changes:
  • all the UI dialogs are resizable now, should display better on all setups
  • I've moved all examples and tutorials to a dedicated repository: https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Examples because some users had trouble to update the WB when they had modified the local files
  • I tried to homogenise the additional assembly properties of all objects, the purpose being to try to interoperate with the other 2 assembly WBs
It should all be compatible with existing Asm4 assemblies. Please report if you find something not behaving as expected.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
evaneaston

Post by evaneaston »

FreeCAD 0.19-19510
Assembly 4 0.7.12, 2020-01-25.

Issue 1 - Variable Name input errors with non-trimmed var name

With the 2/13 version I started tutorial 2 and was getting the following error in the report view.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\eastone\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Assembly4\VariablesLib.py", line 142, in onOK
    setattr( self.Variables, varName, varValue )
AttributeError: 'FeaturePython' object has no attribute 'R_disk '
It took me a moment to notice the extra space. The input dialog should probably trim this OR not fail because of untrimmed space (although, I'd argue that space around a name is generally not intended).

Issue #2 - Add variable should block when new variable name is already used instead of generating a new variable with incremented index.
Issue #3 - Cannot rename or delete variables.

It seems that each time it trued to save the new variable before discovering the trim issue, it created a new variable, appending an incremented index to each one. Now I have variables named R_disk_, R_disk_1, and R_disk_2.

BTW, do you prefer issue reported here or on github?

Assembly 4 Version: 0.8.0, 2020-02-13

FreeCAD About:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19510 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c3eb6d9001c4d60ff7f7cae89f50bd3c965a9940
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by evaneaston on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

evaneaston wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm
Welcome to the Forum. Please always include you About info the posts asking for assistance. Also along with that, please provide the version of Assembly4 you are running as well. Thank you.

Remember to also have a look at our Forum Guidelines. Enjoy your participation.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kcleung

Loose / interference fits (was Re: Assembly 4 workbench)

Post by kcleung »

Hi,

I just had a look at the Assembly 4 tutorial:

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Ex ... /README.md

I feel that Assembly 4 is the most scalable way as it does not require the computation-intensive solver.

The tutorial talks about attachment offset etc.

So if a user wants to implement loose / interference fit in an assembly, what is the best way to be done?

Or should types of fits be implemented as a separate feature in the future?
m.cavallerin

Post by m.cavallerin »

Hi,

just finished with tutorial2.
That's indeed a great WB!

In any case, what's the Constrains Folder is used for?
Would it be possible to link variables to a spreadsheet, in order to reuse the standard feature of Freecad?

Thx

Michele
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

m.cavallerin wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:25 am In any case, what's the Constrains Folder is used for?
before v0.6, the AttachmentOffset for each link was stored there. Now, it's kept as a potential placeholder for constraints if someone comes-up with a 3D solver for Assembly4.

Would it be possible to link variables to a spreadsheet, in order to reuse the standard feature of Freecad?
may-be, don't know, did you try ?
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

I've been working on a more complicated design this weekend using Assembly 4. One of the things that annoys me currently is something related to the App:Link i think. When i load my main assembly document, it also opens all the linked documents, which is great. But i can't save changes i make in those documents, i get an error that FreeCad can't save the partially loaded document >_<.
Is that a setting somewhere i'm missing? or a current limitation of the system? It's kind of annoying to have to open & close files all the time to make changes in the linked files to be sure i can save them.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

racemaniac wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am I get an error that FreeCad can't save the partially loaded document. Is that a setting somewhere i'm missing?
Menu Edit > Preferences, in General > Document check "disable partial loading of external linked objects"
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

Zolko wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:28 am
racemaniac wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am I get an error that FreeCad can't save the partially loaded document. Is that a setting somewhere i'm missing?
Menu Edit > Preferences, in General > Document check "disable partial loading of external linked objects"
Aha, that should indeed help XD.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

in preferences, general, units, i have "imperial decimal" selected.

i create an Assembly4 variable, "Ins_h_00", and assign it the value 2.

in a sketch, i use the formula editor to assign the variable "Variables.Ins_h_00" to a dimension.

the formula editor shows 2 as the result, and i hit ok. the insert length dialog shows the value as 2, and i hit ok.

the sketch dimension becomes 0.0787, which is 2 mm converted to inches. if i try to add units to the variable name, it fails to parse.

is it possible to set up Assembly4 so that it respects the units set up in preferences? or is this more a problem with expressions?