[implemented] select several entities at once for fillets

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[implemented] select several entities at once for fillets

Post by uwestoehr »

Problem:
- assume you have a cube, then you can select e.g. 5 of its edges and then use the menu PartDesign -> Fillet
result: you get immediately a fillet on all 5 selected edges

- no you have already a document with fillets and you realize that you must fillet e.g. 5 more edges using the same fillet parameters. Therefore you open the existing fillet but then you can only add one edge after another. This is very time consuming (in real life I deal with dozens of filleted edges on every part).

Solution:
Here is the first part that adds this feature to the fillet, chamfer, draft and thickness dialogs: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3050

Her a screencast of the new feature:
screencast
screencast
J7Pa99vlIu.gif (130.97 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
Last edited by uwestoehr on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: select several entities at once for fillets

Post by chrisb »

Great improvement!
It is still a bit uncommon. I see the advantage of this toggle add-mode-on and add-mode-off, but a more common way as used in other workbenches is to select the edges and then press the add button.

For the deletion, may I express two further wishes? It is due to toponaming issues sometimes very hard to find a filleted edge. So I would like to have the possibility to select an edge from the list and remove it. Selecting in the list should show the selection in 3D view and vice versa.
And a "Clear" button would be good, unless multiple selection in the list is available.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 am but a more common way as used in other workbenches is to select the edges and then press the add button.
This can be done but where is this already the case? I had a look around and e.g. in the FEM WB they use the same logic.

I use fillets a lot (I am mostly 3D-printing) and I realized that it is very helpful to have the fillets not shown during selection but to see all edges as they are and the already selected ones highlighted.

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 am So I would like to have the possibility to select an edge from the list and remove it. Selecting in the list should show the selection in 3D view and vice versa.
And a "Clear" button would be good, unless multiple selection in the list is available.
I fully agree. Let's see if i can improve the situation.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This can be done but where is this already the case? I had a look around and e.g. in the FEM WB they use the same logic.
It's e.g. the case when having selected several edges or faces when invoking the fillet/chamfer command.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 pm It's e.g. the case when having selected several edges or faces when invoking the fillet/chamfer command.
Yes, but in this case you cleanly see the edged _before_ they become filleted. In some of my real-world objects it is really hard to select and change selection when the edge is already filleted. Therefore the current behavior is in my opinion clean for all cases.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 pm It's e.g. the case when having selected several edges or faces when invoking the fillet/chamfer command.
Yes, but in this case you cleanly see the edged _before_ they become filleted. In some of my real-world objects it is really hard to make and change selections when the edges are already filleted. Therefore the current behavior is in my opinion clean for all cases.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 pm This can be done but where is this already the case?
In Path WB it is done like that for adding BaseFeatures and it is pleasant to handle.
uwestoehr wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 pm I use fillets a lot (I am mostly 3D-printing) and I realized that it is very helpful to have the fillets not shown during selection but to see all edges as they are and the already selected ones highlighted.
That's indeed a serious argument.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 pm I fully agree. Let's see if I can improve the situation.
With this PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3061

the dialog behave now like this:
screencast
screencast
flaHDe97OZ.gif (195.56 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

So you see now the selected item in the object, you can return to see the fillets either by double-clicking or by leaving the selection mode. Moreover it is now impossible to delete the last item as it would raise errors and can break the document.
m.cavallerin

Re: [implemented] select several entities at once for fillets

Post by m.cavallerin »

Hi,
Here is the first part that adds this feature to the fillet, chamfer, draft and thickness dialogs: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3050
this feature has been already implemented? On my 0.18 and 0.19 version I can't add multiple fillets at once, the behaviour is indeed the same as before.
I can press DEL on keyboard but I can also remove last edge.
Peek 2020-02-16 05-36.gif
Peek 2020-02-16 05-36.gif (510.24 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
I updated FC, but I'm not sure these features has been implemented.

Regards.

Michele

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:23 am ... you can return to see the fillets either by double-clicking or by leaving the selection mode. ...
I wonder why it even says "Add ref" and "Remove ref". What is even a "ref"? Why can't it just say "Add" and "Remove". I think this is simpler. The code should handle whatever the user selects internally.

I'd also add a button that says "Apply", to show the fillets. I think double clicking is fine, but making it obvious that there is a button to apply would be good; it may also be nice for those that use the keyboard a lot.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.