[fixed] [regression] Link feature broke PD's patterns dialog

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[fixed] [regression] Link feature broke PD's patterns dialog

Post by uwestoehr »

Since the Link addition the PartDesign pattern dialog doe no longer add/remove selected features:
screencast
screencast
xZiYiShThl.gif (170.57 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

The reason is this commit: git commit 11a93a05, especially: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... e6edf14a07

realthunder, could you please have a look?
realthunder wrote: .
Last edited by uwestoehr on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [regression] Link feature broke PD's patterns dialog

Post by chrisb »

I think this has already been discussed somewhere. It is an error, but it is not as bad as it seems. The features are added and removed correctly, but the list is not updated.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:34 am It is an error, but it is not as bad as it seems. The features are added and removed correctly, but the list is not updated.
But this _is_ the regression. It cost me an hour to realize why I cannot work with my existing older FEM documents as before. -> I am already preparing a PR to restore the list update.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

ATM I have a doubt that you found the correct culprit. This bug already exists in 0.18 which doesn't have the subshape binder implemented. ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

openBrain wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 pm ATM I have a doubt that you found the correct culprit. This bug already exists in 0.18 which doesn't have the subshape binder implemented. ;)
I have tested it quickly with v0.18 and there it doesn't work either. And with v0.19 the workflow is much smoother because in the 3d view you can select the prism when the Fillet is visible. Internally it automatically determines the Prism object and adds it to the list.

In v0.18 you had to explicitly show the Prism object and select it while when the Fillet is visible and you select an element of the prism totally funny things happen.

So, the only thing what's missing is that the Prism will be added to the list when selecting it over the tree view. From the 3d view you can already see that it was added.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

wmayer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:14 pm
openBrain wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 pm ATM I have a doubt that you found the correct culprit. This bug already exists in 0.18 which doesn't have the subshape binder implemented. ;)
So, the only thing what's missing is that the Prism will be added to the list when selecting it over the tree view. From the 3d view you can already see that it was added.
Does it deserve a ticket so it's kept in the todo list ?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For one point there is indeed a regression compared to v0.18. When I select an object in the 3d view it was added to the list which doesn't work any more in v0.19.

With git commit fa963d36d I have fixed this for the linear pattern feature. Now you can select an object in the 3d view or in the tree view to add or remove it. And it fixes another bug: when trying to remove an object via 3d view which however is invisible it always changed the reference.

Basically we can apply this implementation to all other broken pattern features.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 pm With git commit fa963d36d I have fixed this for the linear pattern feature....
Basically we can apply this implementation to all other broken pattern features.
You are fast! My patch for this issue was just ready :) I'll spread you fix to the other 3 affected dialogs now and make a PR.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:22 pm I'll spread you fix to the other 3 affected dialogs now and make a PR.
Here it is: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3055
realthunder
Veteran

Re: [fixed] [regression] Link feature broke PD's patterns dialog

Post by realthunder »

Late for the reply. The problem is caused by missing part of patch during the link merge.

I actually modified quite a bit of various transformed feature task panel classes to allow multi-solids in PartDesign. But that modification is somewhat tied to my topo naming stuff, so it does not go into the merge, and I have to manually split out some of the changes. I have moved common logic in onSelectionChanged of various transformed task panels into the parent TaskTransformedParameters:originalSelected(), here.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal