PythonOCC 7.4.0 beta released

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

PythonOCC 7.4.0 beta released

Post by Kunda1 »

This release requires opencascade 7.4.0

upgraded pythonocc-core to latest opencascade release.
Use conda to download/install binary packages

$ conda install -c dlr-sc pythonocc-core=7.4.0beta
source: https://github.com/tpaviot/pythonocc-co ... /7.4.0beta
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Re: PythonOCC 7.4.0 beta released

Post by looo »

Great. Does this mean they have also an updated smesh?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

looo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 pm Great. Does this mean they have also an updated smesh?
And here is the answer:

smesh for pythonocc is deprecatedI guess deprecating smesh for FreeCAD means that we cannot build with gmsh/netgen/mefisto support anymore. Further, this means FEM is in serious trouble as it is fully dependent on smesh (as far as I understand). So updating to occt7.4 is currently not really an option.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:05 am Further, this means FEM is in serious trouble as it is fully dependent on smesh (as far as I understand). So updating to occt7.4 is currently not really an option.
I don't think this is a problem for FreeCAD because it doesn't use pythonocc. It may very well be a problem for any third party workbench that does depend on pythonocc and uses it's deprecated smesh support.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:00 pm
looo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:05 am Further, this means FEM is in serious trouble as it is fully dependent on smesh (as far as I understand). So updating to occt7.4 is currently not really an option.
I don't think this is a problem for FreeCAD because it doesn't use pythonocc. It may very well be a problem for any third party workbench that does depend on pythonocc and uses it's deprecated smesh support.
No the problem is more why it was deprecated for pythonocc. To use smesh with occt7.4 we need to use the latest release of smesh. This release has changed a lot compared to the release we use currently. On the other hand we added netgen6.2 support for smesh which was never backported to smesh (not really sure about this). So all the work (decoupling smesh from salome, adding support for more recent netgen, debugging different mesh problems) have to be done again. And all this because salome has strange cmake which only works if some other salome projects are available and we were not able to backport the changes... -> bad communication.

Maybe the situation is not as bad as it feels to me. But still everything in me tells me not to start getting into these troubles. On the other hand this is a pressuring issue as it holds back occt7.4 support for freecad.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 pm No the problem is more why it was deprecated for pythonocc.
Thanks for the explanation, I understand now.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:13 pm
looo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 pm No the problem is more why it was deprecated for pythonocc.
Thanks for the explanation, I understand now.
There are some good news: :)
https://github.com/LaughlinResearch/SME ... -570945773

btw.: pyocct is also moving towards occt7.4. Maybe it's possible to work on a better integration of pyocct with freecad once it's available.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

pythonocc7.4 is now available via conda-forge for py3.7 and py3.8. I tested the interface to wrap a pythonocct shape into a FreeCAD shape [1] and this works as expected. I will try to support both projects side by side via conda-forge so 3rd party workbenches can rely on the combination. Hopefully, this will also help to improve the communication of these projects to improve the occt-dependent ecosystem in general.

[1] https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/PythonOCC