New feature: ProfileEdges - Cut open edges [Merged]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

Re: New feature: ProfileEdges - Cut open edges

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Many thanks - while waiting for the next build!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Afternoon Dubstar-04,
You and the FreeCAD community are welcome. I hope it finds some use.
dubstar-04 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:15 pm Merged!!
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 8bbcfb74dc
\0/
Thank you Russ!

@Sliptonic
sliptonic wrote: Ping
I plan on revisiting the updated op to apply some performance-improving-code-substitution knowledge gained yesterday evening in the chatroom. I do not intend to add features, other than consider activating the `CutSide` property for the new open edges capability, for the purpose of maintaining flexibility in use cases.

On a separate, but ProfileEdges related topic,
I can see definite application of strategies developed in this upgrade that will work well with 2D applications, like shape strings that have no depth, or SVG files that are used for 2D part design.

Okay. I better stop thinking about this, and where it leads. I'll never get away from the computer terminal to power up my own CNC for projects with my children.

Back to 3D Surface...

Glad to be on board the SS FreeCAD with such a crew.

Cheers,
Russ
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Russ4262 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:05 pm Glad to be on board the SS FreeCAD with such a crew.
Glad to have you on board - while we are still struggling to get out of the water.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Re: New feature: ProfileEdges - Cut open edges [Merged]

Post by dubstar-04 »

Hi Russ,

I am trying to use the profile open edges on the attached model. For some reason it seems to fail on every edge I have tried.

I would like to run a finishing endmill down a few of the edges to clean up after roughing:
edgeProfile1.png
edgeProfile1.png (37.85 KiB) Viewed 792 times
The result:
edgeProfile2.png
edgeProfile2.png (36 KiB) Viewed 792 times

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20238 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 9f766102f697f9f98a9ba0bd6cbc6b99c55fbb9b
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
ViceClamp.FCStd
(130.21 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:28 pm Hi Russ,

I am trying to use the profile open edges on the attached model. For some reason it seems to fail on every edge I have tried.

It appears the cause is that the `GeometryTolerance` property in the `Job` is set to zero. Click on the `Job` once to select. Scroll through the properties in the Data tab. Change `GeometryTolerance` to an acceptable value. Re-run your ProfileEdges operation(s).

NOTE: I did find that compound selections in some places returns invalid paths. To solve, reduce the compound selection to fewer consecutive edges, or group them differently - in smaller groups.

UPDATE 2020-03-26 CST - Submitted PR - [Path] Fix failed open edge path for zero GeometryTolerance case #3266. The fix is to inform the user of a zero value for Job.GeometryTolerance and that it needs an acceptable value greater than zero.

Cheers,
Russ
blazini36

Post by blazini36 »

Just found this and wow, that is a gamechanger for path. You'd think it's a simple thing but I've spent a lot of time working around not having a closed loop of edges in a model to create a toolpath, and sometimes you really can't other than to go back and change the model.

Thanks for this!