STEP 242

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
microelly2
Veteran

STEP 242

Post by microelly2 »

I'm looking for a free version fo the Step 242 specification
At the moment I use http://www.steptools.com/stds/stp_aim/html/ to read
but for automated processing of step data it wqoukld be nice to have the schema as a file and read it by a parser
openBrain
Veteran

Re: STEP 242

Post by openBrain »

Hi. Could you give some more details ? I absolutely can't figure out what you want to achieve with AP 242 format. ;)
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

microelly2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 am I'm looking for a free version fo the Step 242 specification
I have been unsuccessfully looking for such things for years.
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

microelly2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:39 am I'm looking for a free version fo the Step 242 specification
but for automated processing of step data it wqoukld be nice to have the schema as a file and read it by a parser
Maybe you can find here some useful information

cheers
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe ask @yorik to ask twitter if anyone knows ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cwstirk

Post by cwstirk »

jeno wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:44 am
Maybe you can find here some useful information

cheers
The EXPRESS schema for 242 for parsers is on a nearby page https://www.cax-if.org/cax/cax_express.php
The CAX-IF recommended practices provide information on how to implement portions of the schema, and the CAX-IF test files are corresponding sample files.

BTW Open source STEPcode includes a EXPRESS schema parser that works for 242.

AFAIK the OpenCascade STEP file translator used by FreeCAD is based on code generated by a different EXPRESS parser from an earlier 214 schema, and has been hand maintained since then by OpenCascade, the company. Some of the people responsible for the original work went on to Datakit and have STEP (and other) translators for OpenCascade based on late-binding in ISO 10303-22 and -23, rather than an early binding like STEPcode and the OpenCascade STEP translator.

What are you trying to do such that you need to parse the 242 schema? If I know more I might be able to point you to some more useful resources.
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

openBrain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 pm Hi. Could you give some more details ? I absolutely can't figure out what you want to achieve with AP 242 format. ;)
With STEP AP 242, we can export 3D dimension/tolerence/annotation with geometry.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

cwstirk wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 pm The EXPRESS schema for 242 for parsers is on a nearby page https://www.cax-if.org/cax/cax_express.php
The CAX-IF recommended practices provide information on how to implement portions of the schema, and the CAX-IF test files are corresponding sample files.

What are you trying to do such that you need to parse the 242 schema? If I know more I might be able to point you to some more useful resources.
Thank you for the link. This will help me.
I want to read the step files and store the information in a graph database. I use neo4j.
With the stored data I can get the geometry data to create edges, faces etc.

But it can be used for topological investigations too.
The workflow is:
read and parse the step file
create for each line a node in the graph database and connect the nodes
get the data from the database using cypher

In background procedures (without freecad frontend) the quality of the graph database can be improved:
find connected faces, edges etc. compare different models
calculate simplified proxies for the faces
prepare a global topological naming
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

microelly2 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:41 pm Thank you for the link. This will help me.
I want to read the step files and store the information in a graph database. I use neo4j.
With the stored data I can get the geometry data to create edges, faces etc.

But it can be used for topological investigations too.
The workflow is:
read and parse the step file
create for each line a node in the graph database and connect the nodes
get the data from the database using cypher

In background procedures (without freecad frontend) the quality of the graph database can be improved:
find connected faces, edges etc. compare different models
calculate simplified proxies for the faces
prepare a global topological naming
This sounds interesting. If you get something going public, please let it be known.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

tanderson69 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:12 am This sounds interesting. If you get something going public, please let it be known.
this is a first example of the step file inside the neo4j gui
https://youtu.be/zYPvoVpiVQI
next step is parsing the parameters.