[Discussion] Preparing for the upcoming v0.19 release

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: [Discussion] Preparing for the upcoming v0.19 release

Post by triplus »

As said people still planning to add (a small) feature or two or to fix a bug should do that in the next week or two. If there needs to be a specific date set, lets say Sunday March 22. Hence two week(ends) of time left and the final 10 days of March to more or less be reserved for potential bug fixing oriented PRs.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

triplus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:40 am lets say Sunday March 22.
:+1:

Sounds good. Could you please announce this in the developer forums that everybody is aware of? In my opinion after that day only PRs to fix bugs or update translations should be submitted.
Last edited by uwestoehr on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

triplus wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:56 pm Wiki documentation usually gets more attention in this last step, but people involved in Wiki are doing a great job over the whole development cycle anyway. This is the first time somebody has step up, @Joel_graff, and took care of release notes through the whole development cycle:

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_0.19
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34586

Results are really nice. If anybody else would like to add some additional information to the FreeCAD 0.19 release notes section, now is the time to do that. Yorik usually does that at the end of the development cycle, for his work in areas such as BIM. AFAIK @sliptonic plans to create a release video. Help regarding that is always welcomed.
I have been keeping an eye on the thread, just haven't made myself sit down to catch up on the notes that have occurred since December, I think. I may attempt to work at it this week, but I can make no guarantees with schedule and all. Certainly should be able to get it tackled next week.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

Hello,
short question: Is it possible to add a workbench to the addon manager after the release or will they only appear in the addon manager after the next release?
I ask because I have a workbench that is not quite finished, possibly in May, after the release.
Last edited by usbhub on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usbhub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:38 pm short question: Is it possible to add workspaces to Addon Manager
What are workspaces ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:34 pm
usbhub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:38 pm short question: Is it possible to add workspaces to Addon Manager
What are workspaces ?
Oh, sorry, I mean workbenches of course :D
I will edit my post.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usbhub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm Oh, sorry, I mean workbenches of course :D
Yes, you can add workbenches at anytime, independent of a FC release. They just need to be vetted by the community first.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
usbhub

Post by usbhub »

OK, thanks! Then I have no time pressure :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usbhub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:29 pm OK, thanks! Then I have no time pressure :)
From a marketing perspective, you'll get a lot more exposure if you release it before the release. But even that is dependent on what niche are you covering and the demand for what you're providing. Also depends on presentation, documentation (Screenshots/screencasts) etc.. of the workbench.

Ok... back on topic
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:47 am Sounds good. Could you please announce this in the developer forums that everybody is aware of? In my opinion after that day only PRs to fix bugs or update translations should be submitted.
Done: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44149
Joel_graff wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:44 am I have been keeping an eye on the thread, just haven't made myself sit down to catch up on the notes that have occurred since December, I think. I may attempt to work at it this week, but I can make no guarantees with schedule and all. Certainly should be able to get it tackled next week.
Sounds good, and thanks to your work we aren't now in the position, on how to create the release notes in a week or two. It's just about ironing out the details, if any.