Ticket #3821 - Docker env build container, now with FEM!

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #3821 - Docker env build container, now with FEM!

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks so much for all the work @David_D
Once the docker repo location is settled and set up.. someone give me a heads up and I'll close the ticket.
What should we call the Wiki page and what categories should we associate it to ?
Developer, Developer Documentation
Administration ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

My thought was to host the images on Docker Hub.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
David_D

Post by David_D »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm Thanks so much for all the work @David_D
Once the docker repo location is settled and set up.. someone give me a heads up and I'll close the ticket.
What should we call the Wiki page and what categories should we associate it to ?
Developer, Developer Documentation
Administration ?
We could call it Compile using Docker. I'd mention it in the Compile on MacOS and Compile on Linux/Unix pages, because as a new developer, you'd probably want to know about it as an option when you're starting to fetch dependencies.

The Compile on Linux/Unix and Compile on MacOS pages have the User Documentation, and Developer Documentation categories, so that seems appropriate.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added bbcode
David_D

Post by David_D »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 pm My thought was to host the images on Docker Hub.
It's probably worthwhile to create an organisation on docker hub: https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/orgs/
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
David_D

Post by David_D »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:48 pm Created Compile using Docker :)
I've added install instructions, that will work until we create an official docker image.
David_D

Post by David_D »

Woof, just entered university, so I've been a touch busy. Now I have some time to finish this. If the veterans have not had a chance to create an official docker organisation, how about I create it, and hand over the permissions/roles to Kunda1 and kkremitzki, then import over the images into it?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

David_D wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:23 am Woof, just entered university, so I've been a touch busy. Now I have some time to finish this. If the veterans have not had a chance to create an official docker organisation, how about I create it, and hand over the permissions/roles to Kunda1 and kkremitzki, then import over the images into it?
kkremitzki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 pm:bell:
FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Docker ? oh nvm, we already have FreeCAD/Docker
David_D

Post by David_D »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:29 am FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Docker ? oh nvm, we already have FreeCAD/Docker
Do we know who owns the organisation? I can't even find it on dockerhub. We need them to let someone push the image under the organisation's umbrella.

If we can't find them, I suppose the alternative is to create an organisation under a different name.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

David_D wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 am Do we know who owns the organisation? I can't even find it on dockerhub. We need them to let someone push the image under the organisation's umbrella.
kkremitzki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 pm My thought was to host the images on Docker Hub.
Let's do it

@David_D have you had any experience spinning up Docker with a specific patch or pull request? There's currently a bottleneck in this area when it comes to development workflow, what I've observed is entry level developers have a hard time getting past git, building, compiling and running FC. We have something for app images, but it's still not very clear what the workflow is to generate an app image especially one from a pull request that requires certain libraries installed.

So use case would be, a developer looking through the FC GitHub repo, seeing a pool request that they're interested in testing, getting the URL or the raw .diff URL of the PR, and then throwing it into Docker. Or having some sort of Docker flag that allows for said URL to be used.