GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suraj Dadral

GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Hello everyone,

I am creating proposal for project "Extended functionality of Rebar Addon" https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Extended_fu ... ebar_Addon
And here is draft proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oFw ... sp=sharing

You all are welcome to give your valuable suggestions.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-r ... 1-htm.html
What about having above feature in FreeCAD?
i.e. having drawing templates for columns and beams and for different reinforcement inside them which can be created, modified and deleted through some UI.

Thanks,
bernd
Veteran

Re: GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Post by bernd »

sounds good to me, but

IMHO the most important for the rebar is the material bill. Without a material bill the rebar tools of FreeCAD can not be used in real world problems. Thus in addition to what you wrote a material bill should be created as well on the tech draw page.

cheers bernd
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

bernd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 pm sounds good to me, but

IMHO the most important for the rebar is the material bill. Without a material bill the rebar tools of FreeCAD can not be used in real world problems. Thus in addition to what you wrote a material bill should be created as well on the tech draw page.
Thanks @bernd for this great suggestion.
Our aim is to make rebar tools usable for real world problems. So, I will also add bill of material to proposal.

For, generating bill of material, we can use FreeCAD spreadsheet object as suggested here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p135241

I just wanted to know that which thing is causing problem in generating bill of material for rebars.
Is the process time consuming? Or we do not have implementation yet?

Thanks,
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

The Fasteners WB has a BOM function
Fasteners_BOM the documentation isn't written for it yet though.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 pm The Fasteners WB has a BOM function
Fasteners_BOM the documentation isn't written for it yet though.
That's great. Going to give it a try.

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Hi @bernd,

In reinforcement--material_bill.pdf file shared by you here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 61#p135030 has bar shape cut list.

While generating material bill, this list will be taken as input from user or somehow it is calculated from reinforcement inside model?

Thanks,
Attachments
reinforcement--material_bill.pdf
(133.54 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

If 3D model is created all required information will be there in model. That mean you need such information to produce 3D model, and we can keep such information, in some setting / configuration / preference file.
--
H.S.Rai
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi @bernd,

In reinforcement--material_bill.pdf file shared by you here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 61#p135030 has bar shape cut list.

While generating material bill, this list will be taken as input from user or somehow it is calculated from reinforcement inside model?

Thanks,
Ahh we may missunderstood. When I talk about material bill I mean the "rebar shape cut list". The one you attached to your post (my example). This is what we deliver to the manufactur (in switzerland). This list is normaly created by the programm automaticlly. As hardeeprai stated all information are available in the model. Without this list we can not use the rebar tools in real world. It is even more important than the drawing, because the drawing could be done manally ATM. You described the work flow in your first post. But the bar shape cut list is not possible. Eventually we just need methods to create exact this list.

BTW there exists a manufactur file format for this too. It has file ending abs and is called the BVBS format. See this page from tekla software https://teklastructures.support.tekla.c ... _exporting The file format is very simple and therefor easy to implement. I could provide as much examples as needed. I would highly appreteated to implement this too.

BTW: If you would integrate the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format export into your GSoC I would support it and even help as a mentor.

keep in minde there are some tricky tasks ...
For example:
- the length in the bar shape cut list is the length without the curves means the length as would there be no curve.
- the numbers should be written automaticly on the bar shape cuts
- this should work even if the ankle is not 90 degree
- and so on ...
- pdf export of all the report on one click, even if it is multiple page
- export to svg and excel should be possible too. (may be not implemented but the data structure should allow wo easy implement it.)
- AFAIK in germany the bar shape cut list is not a list of ISO A4 pages but placed on reinforcement drawing (this should be possible too)

Means if you go for the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format this will take quite some time from all your work! But IMHO it is worth because the rebar tools could be used in real world than

@all around here

How dou you guys deliver the bar shape cut list to the manufactor in your country?

cheers bernd
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am Ahh we may missunderstood. When I talk about material bill I mean the "rebar shape cut list". The one you attached to your post (my example). This is what we deliver to the manufactur (in switzerland). This list is normaly created by the programm automatically. As hardeeprai stated all information are available in the model. Without this list we can not use the rebar tools in real world. It is even more important than the drawing, because the drawing could be done manally ATM. You described the work flow in your first post. But the bar shape cut list is not possible. Eventually we just need methods to create exact this list.
Thanks @bernd for clarification.
To implement bar bending schedule (if same as "rebar shape cut list + rebars material bill"), we can achieve this as:
1. Store rebar shapes (svg) in a directory in rebar addon, which will be used in generating "rebar shape cut list". (Thanks @hardeep for similar suggestion)
2. Find unique rebar shapes present in model.
3. Compute parameters for each rebar shape to be used for generating rebar material bill and store them inside spreadsheet object.
4. Rebar shape cut list will be generated by mapping rebar shapes present in model with stored rebar shapes.
5. Bar bending schedule will be generated by combining spreadsheet and rebar shape cut list.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am BTW there exists a manufactur file format for this too. It has file ending abs and is called the BVBS format. See this page from tekla software https://teklastructures.support.tekla.c ... _exporting The file format is very simple and therefor easy to implement. I could provide as much examples as needed. I would highly appreteated to implement this too.
I will also implement this.
To implement this, we will utilize parameters stored in spreadsheet or will calculate from model (if required).
We will be following latest guidelines issued on October 31, 2019 version 3.0 as here https://www.bvbs.de/downloads/ ?
Please provide some example bvbs files so that I can better understand this format.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am BTW: If you would integrate the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format export into your GSoC I would support it and even help as a mentor.
That's great. I will be implementing both.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am keep in minde there are some tricky tasks ...
For example:
- the length in the bar shape cut list is the length without the curves means the length as would there be no curve.
- the numbers should be written automaticly on the bar shape cuts
- this should work even if the ankle is not 90 degree
- and so on ...
I will take care of above during implementation.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am - pdf export of all the report on one click, even if it is multiple page
- export to svg and excel should be possible too. (may be not implemented but the data structure should allow wo easy implement it.)
First, I will implement export to svg file.
Then, svg can be converted into pdf using "svglib" python module.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am - AFAIK in germany the bar shape cut list is not a list of ISO A4 pages but placed on reinforcement drawing (this should be possible too)
We will ask user during export if he wants to export "bar shape cut list" to svg/pdf or place it on drawing page.
If user wants to place it on drawing sheet, he will be prompted to choose reinforcement drawing page to place bar shape cut list.
For more ease, when user will be creating reinforcement drawing, he will be provided with a checkbox for if he wants to include "bar shape cut list" in drawing.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am Means if you go for the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format this will take quite some time from all your work! But IMHO it is worth because the rebar tools could be used in real world than
Right. As you suggested above <q>It is even more important than the drawing, because the drawing could be done manally ATM.</q>.
So, we can follow below workflow for project:
1. Implement "bar shape cut list" and its export to svg and pdf.
2. Implement export to BVBS format.
3. Implement automatic reinforcement drawing generation (with bar shape cut list included as per user requirement).

What is your opinion @all

Thanks,
Last edited by Suraj Dadral on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Sounds good to me.
Suraj Dadral wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 pm 1. Store rebar shapes (svg) in a directory in rebar addon, which will be used in generating "rebar shape cut list". (Thanks @hardeep for similar suggestion)
2. Find unique rebar shapes present in model.
3. Compute parameters for each rebar shape to be used for generating rebar material bill and store them inside spreadsheet object.
4. Rebar shape cut list will be generated by mapping rebar shapes present in model with stored rebar shapes.
5. Bar bending schedule will be generated by combining spreadsheet and rebar shape cut list.
we should spend some time to be sure this is the way to go. Just to be sure. There might be other ways too.

Suraj Dadral wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 pm We will be following latest guidelines issued on October 31, 2019 version 3.0 as here https://www.bvbs.de/downloads/ ?
Please provide some example bvbs files so that I can better understand this format.
I did not know this exists. AFAIK this is not yet supported by the CAD we use. I will ask our vendor. ATM I would go for this in your proposal.
Right. As you suggested above <q>It is even more important than the drawing, because the drawing could be done manally ATM.</q>.
So, we can follow below workflow for project:
1. Implement "bar shape cut list" and its export to svg and pdf.
2. Implement export to BVBS format.
3. Implement automatic reinforcement drawing generation (with bar shape cut list included as per user requirement).
this time line makes sense to me

IMHO you should update you proposal in this regard.

To archive the bar shape list we might need to change something at the base of rebar implementation. ATM it is not easy to set a unique number for each rebar shape. This may take some development time too. Take this into account for the bar shape cut list time line. I have done something in this regard allready. You may use this as a base. Hopefully Amritpal Singh or Yorik will be in as mentor too.

cheers bernd