GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suraj Dadral

Re: GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Post by Suraj Dadral »

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm
we should spend some time to be sure this is the way to go. Just to be sure. There might be other ways too.
Yes, we will.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm I did not know this exists. AFAIK this is not yet supported by the CAD we use. I will ask our vendor. ATM I would go for this in your proposal.
OK.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm this time line makes sense to me

IMHO you should update you proposal in this regard.
Updated proposal with implementation details sorted in above order.
Timeline for project will be completed soon.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm To archive the bar shape list we might need to change something at the base of rebar implementation. ATM it is not easy to set a unique number for each rebar shape. This may take some development time too. Take this into account for the bar shape cut list time line.
I will add this to timeline of project.
BTW, I am planning to do above changes before start of GSoC coding period after having more discussion on that.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm I have done something in this regard allready. You may use this as a base.
This will be very helpful. Any reference from where I can get the code?

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm Hopefully Amritpal Singh or Yorik will be in as mentor too.
That's great.

Thanks,
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am BTW there exists a manufactur file format for this too. It has file ending abs and is called the BVBS format. See this page from tekla software https://teklastructures.support.tekla.c ... _exporting The file format is very simple and therefor easy to implement.
Interesting information. Thank you for sharing it.

May I know, who owns this format, and is it "open"?

I tried to find, but could not get much.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am If you would integrate the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format export into your GSoC I would support it and even help as a mentor.
I support it. Will also contribute. And I suggest, don't depend on GSoC, if you (@Suraj Dadral) are finding it interesting then start working. It may help you get GSoC more easily.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am keep in minde there are some tricky tasks ...
For example:
- the length in the bar shape cut list is the length without the curves means the length as would there be no curve.

<snip>

- export to svg and excel should be possible too. (may be not implemented but the data structure should allow wo easy implement it.)
- AFAIK in germany the bar shape cut list is not a list of ISO A4 pages but placed on reinforcement drawing (this should be possible too)

Means if you go for the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format this will take quite some time from all your work! But IMHO it is worth because the rebar tools could be used in real world than
It lays foundation of @Suraj Dadral's project.

bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am
@all around here

How dou you guys deliver the bar shape cut list to the manufactor in your country?
On drawings. In some cases, bar-bending team need to prepare it from structural drawings.

In India we follow https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.sp.34.1987 , it is:

HANDBOOK ON CONCRETE REINFORCEMENT AND DETAILING

Two screenshots are attached showing Bar Bending Schedule.
bbs101.png
BBS102.png
--
H.S.Rai
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

hardeeprai wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am May I know, who owns this format, and is it "open"?

I tried to find, but could not get much.

Got some information form @Suraj Dadral's reply:

https://www.bvbs.de/ueber-den-bvbs/
--
H.S.Rai
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

hardeeprai wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am
bernd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:37 am If you would integrate the bar shape cut list and the BVBS format export into your GSoC I would support it and even help as a mentor.
I support it. Will also contribute. And I suggest, don't depend on GSoC, if you (@Suraj Dadral) are finding it interesting then start working. It may help you get GSoC more easily.
Hi @hardeep, I am also thinking about starting work on this.
I am going to start working on generating bill of material first as listed first task in proposal timeline.
What is your opinion?

Is there any standard available for bill of material specifications?

hardeeprai wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am
On drawings. In some cases, bar-bending team need to prepare it from structural drawings.

In India we follow https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.sp.34.1987 , it is:

HANDBOOK ON CONCRETE REINFORCEMENT AND DETAILING

bbs101.png

BBS102.png
I will try to get information from this book.
Looks like you missed to upload files bbs101.png and BBS102.png as mentioned in post.

BTW, I submitted the draft proposal in BRL-CAD organisation by applying FreeCAD tag. And same can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oFw ... sp=sharing

Please review it and give your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 pm BTW, I submitted the draft proposal in BRL-CAD organisation by applying FreeCAD tag. And same can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oFw ... sp=sharing
Hi Suraj,

The proposal looks good.

I suggest you to also add some visuals for showing how the dialog box looks like, what is the workflow from the initial point to end result. These visuals will be very helpful during the GSoC period.

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

amrit3701 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:53 am The proposal looks good.

I suggest you to also add some visuals for showing how the dialog box looks like, what is the workflow from the initial point to end result. These visuals will be very helpful during the GSoC period.
Hi @amrit3701,
Thanks for your suggestions.

Now, I am creating some mockups regarding workflow of the project.
TBH, I am trying to collect more information about what will be the input parameters for creating drawings and don't have much info regarding this. So, its hard to create dialog box mockups. Still, I will try to do something it.

Thanks,
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

hardeeprai wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am HANDBOOK ON CONCRETE REINFORCEMENT AND DETAILING

bbs101.png

BBS102.png
See screenshots.
bbs101.png
bbs101.png (87.43 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
BBS102.png
BBS102.png (214.43 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
--
H.S.Rai
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

hardeeprai wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 pm
See screenshots.

bbs101.png
BBS102.png
Added above Bar Bending Schedule image (BBS102.png) as expected output for bar bending schedule in proposal.

Thanks,
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:16 pm
hardeeprai wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 pm
See screenshots.

bbs101.png
BBS102.png
Added above Bar Bending Schedule image (BBS102.png) as expected output for bar bending schedule in proposal.
there is another example in one of your posts. It is similar to the one you added. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p381124
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Both list have something very important we do not have ATM in FreeCAD rebar. A number for the shape. It is called mark in the one from hardeeprai and Position in my one. We need to introduce this number. Very important! It should be possible to fully automate the process to get the numbers as well as to fully make the process manually by the user. We widely use both, automated numbers and manually given numbers.

cheers bernd