rookie question (probably)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rocr

rookie question (probably)

Post by rocr »

Hello,

I am just starting to use FreeCad. I am trying to make a part, a motor mount, where most pockets are "straight, except for two that are narrower at the bottom then on top.

So I created two sketches, extruded them and made a boolean fusion. What I end up with looks like what I want, but when I try to create a path (toolpath) it somehow "doesn't work" I can select the faces of all pockets, but I don't get a path or freecad crashes.
What is the correct (or a correct) way to do this?

Also, the origin is at the bottom of the center hole but I want to start the tool path from the top of course. Can I change where the path starts? Or do I have to move the origin?

thanks,

Ron
kisolre
Veteran

Re: rookie question (probably)

Post by kisolre »

rocr

Post by rocr »

ah... look at that, I ran into the forum cop.
Are you the one that never really answers, but makes a point out of if a question is formulated correctly?
Because pretty much every forum has at least one of those.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

rocr wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:02 pm ah... look at that, I ran into the forum cop.
Are you the one that never really answers, but makes a point out of if a question is formulated correctly?
There is a point to why we ask users to comply with these requests. So please just follow through and the probabilities go up that you'll receive pretty solid help.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Help us to help you, follow the posting guidelines. The reason I haven't replied til now is the same.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

No he's just the first one that will ask for system info and FreeCAD version info...because, otherwise those who attempt to help have no idea whether you are using a new version of FreeCAD, and old version of FreeCAD, or a develpement version of FreeCAD...and it does make a difference. 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There have been lots of changes to Path workbench recently, so you should really follow the nice policemen who wants to help you crossing the street. Alas, he doesn't know on which side of the street you are.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

rocr wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:02 pm ah... look at that, I ran into the forum cop.
WOW! High Score for Bone Headed Rudeness! Even fresh recruits at Boot Camp have more courtesy.

If you are through acting like a self entitled brat, kindly supply the information requested so that my fellow forum member have what they need to help you. Also you might want to try apologizing to the very nice, highly knowledgeable, and super helpful policeman for kicking him because you were to lazy to read and follow very clearly posted guidelines.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

To my fellow forum members :

My apologies for such a strong tone. It is more than angering to see someone's first post here be so unjustifiably rude and hurtful. Especially given how incredibly kind, courteous, and helpful all of you are. I could have understood this "rookie's" attack if he had himself been so treated, but he was not.

Nevertheless, two wrongs does not make anything right. I was overly aggressive in my words and in defense of my friends. In being so, I have betrayed the kindness you have shown me and the trust you have placed in me.

I am sorry.

------------

To rocr :

While you were exceptionally rude, it did not justify the level nor vitriol of my retort. I am ashamed and I apologize.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

rocr wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:02 pm Are you the one that never really answers, but makes a point out of if a question is formulated correctly?
No, that's vocx.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here