FreeCAD and Raspberry Pi 4

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
josegegas

Re: FreeCAD and Raspberry Pi 4

Post by josegegas »

I compiled FreeCAD 0.18 on a Rpi 4 following this:

https://www.framboise314.fr/utiliser-fr ... GTSD63Ac1s

Took like 2 hours, but now it runs well.

Still have to test it properly though, but it seems that it works fine :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This thread was featured on a blog that was featured on Hacker news
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22347385
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Janzsmboni

Post by Janzsmboni »

Hello everyone just landed on the blog and trying to figure out how to overcome this coin 3d issue and successfully install freeCad on the raspberry pi4, did anyone wrote up a straight forward guideline how to make it possible? Thank you for any feedback
tiedemate

Post by tiedemate »

Sorry, I totally missed this reply...
Ok, there is a conflicting type definition in the source code? But that can't be specific to my Pinebook Pro, or can it?

wmayer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:26 pm
tiedemate wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm I can't insert the output of the subsequent
make -j4
because it exceeds the character limit, so I attached it as a textfile.
The build fails because of this error:
In file included from /usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/QGLContext:1,
from /home/tiedemate/freecad-build/src/QtOpenGL.h:48,
from /home/tiedemate/freecad-source/src/Gui/Application.cpp:49:
/usr/include/qt4/QtOpenGL/qgl.h:85:17: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef GLfloat GLdouble'
85 | typedef GLfloat GLdouble;
| ^~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/tiedemate/freecad-source/src/Gui/InventorAll.h:31,
from /home/tiedemate/freecad-source/src/Gui/Application.cpp:27:
/usr/include/GL/gl.h:134:17: note: previous declaration as 'typedef double GLdouble'
134 | typedef double GLdouble; /* double precision float */
There is a conflicting type definition of GLdouble. The OpenGL lib defines it as double but Qt re-defines it as GLfloat.
josegegas

Post by josegegas »

Hi all.

I have installed FreeCAD on my Raspberry pi 4 following these instructions:

https://www.framboise314.fr/utiliser-fr ... GTSD63Ac1s

FreeCAD works great on my Rpi, however, I cannot add any new workbench. The addon manager works and it says the workbench has been added, but when I re-starts FreeCAD the new workbench is not there. I have also tried by downloading and copping the workbench into my Mod folder, but did not work either. Actually, I realized I have two Mod folders, one in /home/pi/.FreeCAD/Mod, and one in the folder where I complied FreeCAD using the instructions in the link above. which is /home/pi/FreeCAD/freecad-build/Mod. I have copied the FCGear workbench to both Mod folder, but it does not work.

Any idea will be very appreciated!

Cheers.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

josegegas wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 am FreeCAD works great on my Rpi, however, I cannot add any new workbench. The addon manager works and it says the workbench has been added, but when I re-starts FreeCAD the new workbench is not there. I have also tried by downloading and copping the workbench into my Mod folder, but did not work either. Actually, I realized I have two Mod folders, one in /home/pi/.FreeCAD/Mod, and one in the folder where I complied FreeCAD using the instructions in the link above. which is /home/pi/FreeCAD/freecad-build/Mod. I have copied the FCGear workbench to both Mod folder, but it does not work.
AFAIK /home/pi/FreeCAD/freecad-build/Mod is the folder which contains all standard WB, I mean built-in workbenches.
/home/pi/.FreeCAD/Mod is the folder which manages user settings and workbenches from addon manager, that's the right place concerning additional workbenches.
I installed sheetmetal WB or Fasteners WB with no trouble. Please try that and tell me.
Concerning FCGears, I have the same issue as you, FCGears WB marked as "installed" in addon manger but not available in scroll-list. I assume this trouble is due to PY2 compilation because FCGears is now PY3 suitable.
So, if I'm right, you could try to compile FreeCAD 18.4 with PY3/Qt4 then check if it works better.
Otherwise you could try to use PY2 branch of https://github.com/looooo/freecad.gears of FCGears:
looo wrote: ping
Looo, am I right? Sorry, I've got the answer, it works: thanks Looo for your PY3 and PY2 branches ;)

@josegegas:
clone or download https://github.com/looooo/freecad.gears/tree/py2 then unzip it by replacing /home/pi/.FreeCAD/Mod/FCGear containt. That works ;)

RPI4_FCGears_PY2.png
RPI4_FCGears_PY2.png (36.24 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Hi folks,

I have good news: FreeCAD 18.4 (PY3/Qt5) works like a charme on RPI4 with Ubuntu 20.04LTS :D
Installed from repository.

freecad_RPI4_Ubuntu_20-04LTS.png
freecad_RPI4_Ubuntu_20-04LTS.png (152.92 KiB) Viewed 3813 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

I get some troubles with Xfce desktop (freezing sometimes...) but this is another story, not relevant with FreeCAD.

Enjoy FreeCAD on RPI4 with Ubuntu, I hope someday FreeCAD (PY3/Qt5) will work on Raspbian too :)
Last edited by -alex- on Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

-alex- wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:19 pm ...
I have good news: FreeCAD 18.4 (PY3/Qt5) works like a charme on RPI4 with Ubuntu 20.04LTS :D
I was just reading about Ubuntu's support of the Raspberry Pi. If FreeCAD works here, it's a win for Ubuntu.

Also please try 0.19, as it's obviously much more improved.

Also, you didn't mention whether you compiled it yourself, following, say, Compile on Linux, or if you installed it from the repository.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

vocx wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:30 pm Also please try 0.19, as it's obviously much more improved.
yeap, that's my next step :D
but I have to fix first the freezing of desktop issue, otherwise I will turn crazy :evil:
vocx wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:30 pm Also, you didn't mention whether you compiled it yourself, following, say, Compile on Linux, or if you installed it from the repository.
Installed from repository, Edit:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install freecad
Last edited by -alex- on Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

-alex- wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 pm Installed from repository, thanks to Vejmarie I guess ;)
So, it's the snap version? Not the deb version? These details are important.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.