Problem with Dressup Tag

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Problem with Dressup Tag

Post by falviani »

Hi,

My setup:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20634 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ba34cc6a96c15d64224e8f0c8b5da874f1e03a07
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I have a model where I've been making changes and needed to replace the tags on the edge profile (user label 'cutout') used to cut out the workpiece. There are a few problems:
1) The 'copy from' menu doesn't work at all: a) There's no 'don't copy' option; or b) It wants to copy from the currently open operation. And the associated replace all button either is disabled or doesn't do anything.
2) Having lost my tags, I clicked on the bottom path wire to manually place a tag and get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\Mod\Path\PathScripts\PathGetPoint.py", line 207, in pointReject
self.pointFinish(False)
File "E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\Mod\Path\PathScripts\PathGetPoint.py", line 187, in pointFinish
FreeCADGui.Snapper.off(True)
AttributeError: module 'FreeCADGui' has no attribute 'Snapper'
File "E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\Mod\Path\PathScripts\PathGetPoint.py", line 211, in pointAccept
self.pointFinish(True)
File "E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\Mod\Path\PathScripts\PathGetPoint.py", line 187, in pointFinish

and at this point I can't do anything: the 'save' and 'close' buttons at the bottom of the dialog do nothing, and the usual OK/Cancel/Apply buttons at the top of the dialog are disabled.

I've attached the problem file for your autopsy pleasure :)

Frank
Attachments
CNC Brace_v2.FCStd
(513.39 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
roerich_64
Veteran

Re: Problem with Dressup Tag

Post by roerich_64 »

Hi,

i have redesignd your paths.

Now all is be good ;)
CNC_Brace_V2_A.FCStd
(235.75 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
BR
Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
falviani

Post by falviani »

Why did you make the changes the way you did? While I can apply the tag dressup to the contour, is the bug when using tags with the profile toolpath known? And why did you use the adaptive paths? Just trying to learn here...
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

Hi Falviani,
falviani wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:15 am Why did you make the changes the way you did? While I can apply the tag dressup to the contour, is the bug when using tags with the profile toolpath known? And why did you use the adaptive paths? Just trying to learn here...

The pocket in the middle is too small to leave the material. So that should be cut out completely.

I have created a new file in which you can see how best to use TagDresups here:
CNC_Brace_V2_B.FCStd
(232.23 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
CNC_Brave_V2_B.jpg
CNC_Brave_V2_B.jpg (385.77 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
For now (Path-WB is on heavy development) it is better to create the paths with the tasks of them.
Then close the tasks and play with the variables in the propety-view to have correct datums there.

Now then you have no errors ;)

BR
Walter
falviani

Post by falviani »

Thanks for the update. I still have a couple of questions, though:
1) Why did you use an adaptive clear for the top surface of the model? I don't see that as necessary.
2) Why did you switch to the waterline operation? I can't find any documentation yet for it.

Thanks,
Frank
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

falviani wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:02 pm Thanks for the update. I still have a couple of questions, though:
1) Why did you use an adaptive clear for the top surface of the model? I don't see that as necessary.
You are wellcome.
You are right, it is not necessary.
It comes out from my playing with the path-wb ;)
falviani wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:02 pm 2) Why did you switch to the waterline operation? I can't find any documentation yet for it.
Sorry. You can need functions of the path-WB as you think.
Yes, the documentation of the waterline operation isn't ready yed... waterline is very fresh ;)

For now it is the best workflow you create the path you need with the tasks of them, close the tasks and play with the variables in the property-view to have correct datums there and to learn their effects.

BR
Walter
norru

Post by norru »

Hello,

Found myself on this post after searching for the error message below.
I have got the same error after removing a tag (which was disabled):

File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAfAC5Ev/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathGetPoint.py", line 207, in pointReject
self.pointFinish(False)
File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAfAC5Ev/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathGetPoint.py", line 187, in pointFinish

Now I can't either add or remove tags altogether.

Tags are placed correctly in similar places, so there is enough material.

I don't want to re-do my paths from scratch again (already done it 3 times today to work around other "features").

Is this something the developers are aware of, or everybody finding this is just working it around?

EDIT: just to let you know, switching to the *Draft Workbench* makes this error disappear.

Cheers
Nico
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Nico,

It is hard to respond when you do not say anything about your version of FC, and you do not provide an example FCStd file.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It looks as if you should rebuild the Job from scratch. Some attributes needed now were probably not present when your job was created.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
norru

Post by norru »

Hi Chris,

you're right, here's the version information:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21125 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 40600a55c2fe71ff589be677f6e427ccc937d003
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)

I've rebuilt the job from scratch a few times today and every time I've hit a different brick wall. Spent a few hours to get to this point.
The workaround I found was to edit the tags from the *Draft Workbench* rather than the *Path Workbench* - just in case anyone else happens to stumble on this.

In the end, I managed to get the right GCode but it was about 300 times harder than I'd hoped for!

Cheers
Nico