Workflow ideas

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
antoniovazquezblanco

Re: Workflow ideas

Post by antoniovazquezblanco »

triplus wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:17 pm And did finding PartDesign workbench represent a real issue to you. Being a new user?
The first time I opened FC it was. I did not know wether that was what I needed. Maybe I was looking for the Part workbench and not PartDesign. Maybe I had to open the sketcher before I could extrude a part... I was simply not sure on how to proceed.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Part vs PartDesign debate is an interesting one indeed. Basically such debate doesn't have much to do with existence of modules like Ship, FEM, Arch, Path ... in FreeCAD by default. There likely was a (slim) chance Part workbench would get superseded by PartDesign (NEXT) workbench. But that more or less didn't happen, as both serve a different purpose now. In addition a lot of functionality and projects out there depend on Part workbench. Therefore Part vs PartDesign debate will likely still be here in foreseeable future. New users therefore do need to grasp on why both exist, that much is true.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

antoniovazquezblanco wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 am I was simply not sure on how to proceed.
Because of FreeCAD's Workbench Philosophy, that represent several parallel workflows. As beginner, you'll find several paths but you do not know what to follow.
It is the same phenomenon with Ansys Workbench that also uses workbenches structure. At beginning it is a bit confuse. For that reason is important a well design Start Workbench to orientate people.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

I would propose to make some predefined, most used, workflows and workbenches. Examples for workflows could be "development of mechanical parts" or "development of mechanical machines" or "fluid simulations". A "development of mechanical parts"-workflow could have the workbenches PartDesign, Sketcher, FEM, TechDraw, Spreadsheet. More specifically you would have a combobox for selecting workflow and tab-like buttons for selecting the workbench. The workbench-tabs change with the selection of the workflow in the combobox. I had sketched a sample UI for this function to be implemented. On top of this all I would change the names of the workbenches to generic ones like Assembly instead of A2plus for example.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Aleks wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:50 pm I would propose to make some predefined, most used, workflows and workbenches.
Good idea. As this has been discussed before, you may search the forum and link the old discussion, so that ideas and thoughts don't have to be developed twice.
I had sketched a sample UI for this function to be implemented.
You forgot the attachment.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.