ppemawm wrote: ↑
Fri May 08, 2020 6:02 pm
Wow. For a complete beginner that is quite impressive. Thanks for sharing.
I for one would like to know what workbench you used, the version number, hurdles overcome, and any particular
modelling strategy, etc.
Eh I spent most of the time not actually modeling anything, but struggling to figure out how to use the tools. There was a lot of googling; I mostly went by "you do what you gotta do", there wasn't mcuh room for perfectionism. The handle has a bunch of random curves and angles everywhere so I spent a lot of time zooming 1:1 and putting a reference handle to the screen to do shape matching. I've used 0.19 but I guess 0.18 would've worked the same. Mostly used Part workbench because you can go nuts as long as it does the job for you whereas PartDesign has some restrictive rules on how you can and cannot do things.
I made a bunch of cross section profiles and swept them, but it just kept making weird kinks and bulges everywhere. The central sweep chord was a single arc but I had to make two arcs out of it just so that there was an anchor point for another profile which I hoped would fix it (I couldn't use another sketch's singular points and construction lines and it's a real bummer). I couldn't coax it into proper shape so eventually I made three different sweeps - sections of which individually looked about right - with the front-to-mid, the middle and the mid-to-rear profiles, cut them up and stitched together, the transitions didn't came perfectly smooth though. The front section actually has a huge counter-bulge modeled in to get the shape right but there's a cut for the door so it's not visible. I couldn't put a sketch on a curved surface so I had to manually move sketches and extrusions to make bolt cover recess and bolt holes of appropriate depth. Making the cutting surface was a pain because I couldn't stretch a surface between two sketches properly and when I tried it one segment at a time, one of them would come out twisted by 180 degrees. Simply sweeping between sketches produced rather weird transitions between circular and straight segments. So I made two homogeneous sketches with different proportions to approximate my original idea and loft them, and then used helper sketches to stretch additional surface over the ends so it could make a cut. Making the T-peg at the back was easy and straightforward.
For all that trouble, it came pretty close to the original though, when holding them next to each other I couldn't really tell much of a difference, beyond one of them being shiny ABS and the other being sanded PLA. Which I'm now gluing for the second time because apparently epoxy won't stick to smooth PLA and I didn't use nearly enough of it so there wasn't much contact anyway.