Sketcher Constraints checkbox -- What does it do?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Sketcher Constraints checkbox -- What does it do?

Post by garya »

Can someone explain or point me to what the check-box to the left of each constraint in the Sketcher Constraints is for? I can't find it described anywhere.
Reynard1066

Re: Sketcher Constraints checkbox -- What does it do?

Post by Reynard1066 »

It turns on and off the visibility and selection of the constraint (in red). Sometimes a sketch can get very busy with constraints and selection of end points etc. can be difficult so you can hide the ones that are getting in the way.
garya

Post by garya »

Ah, thanks. I thought it might do something like that or deactivate them but apparently it doesn't always work. For example, coincidence constraints aren't visible, and turning one off and on doesn't make it visible. That's unfortunate because it makes it difficult to identify which is which unless one renames them. I also have a case where sometimes only one of a constraint pair is made invisible, along with a different constraint; the internal tracking of which text goes with which constraint appears to be confused.
Anyway, thanks, that's a help.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.0.18.4
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.6
Qt version: 5.13.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.4.0.beta
Locale: C/Default (C)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

garya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 pm the internal tracking of which text goes with which constraint appears to be confused.
Do you hava an example for this?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
garya

Post by garya »

chrisb wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 pm Do you hava an example for this?
Yes, but it's rather complex. I will try to cut it down to something tolerable.
garya

Post by garya »

In the attached file:

1. Open the sketch in Sketcher WB
2. Scroll down to constraint labelled "UpperGuideSlopLines"
3. Click on it and notice where the two constraint texts are
4. On the right hand constraint, note the "UprRtSlopInLineWithUprRtGuide" constraint label above it
5. Click the "UpperGuideSlopLines" check box to hide it
Result: The right hand constraint label disappears, but not the left; the additional constraint above it disappears
Bug_Sketch_6.FCStd
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.0.18.4
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.6
Qt version: 5.13.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.4.0.beta
Locale: C/Default (C)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

garya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 pm Ah, thanks. I thought it might do something like that or deactivate them but apparently it doesn't always work...
Please note than in 0.19 there is a new tool to activate and deactivate constraints, Sketcher_ToggleActiveConstraint.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Constraints are not hidden. They are moved to another virtual space and you can switch between the two spaces so you can have two visual sets of constraints. Sketcher_SwitchVirtualSpace
garya

Post by garya »

vocx wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:59 pm Please note than in 0.19 there is a new tool to activate and deactivate constraints, Sketcher_ToggleActiveConstraint.
I noticed that in the docs, thanks.
kisolre wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:29 pm Constraints are not hidden. They are moved to another virtual space and you can switch between the two spaces so you can have two visual sets of constraints. Sketcher_SwitchVirtualSpace
Ah, thanks.
garya

Post by garya »

@chrisb Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I've noticed the mismatch in constraint display seems to happen after I have deleted some pieces of a sketch and added new ones. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed exactly when it happens. But maybe something like deleting one arc, inserting a guide line, and then re-creating the arc. This might cause problems with constraints on straight lines that formerly connected to the ends of the deleted arc, even though those constraints were related to the line ends not connected to the arc.