path WB: regression in FC 0.19

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Forthman
Veteran

Re: path WB: regression in FC 0.19

Post by Forthman »

Hi
Sorry, I don't have the answer, but a little question. :oops:
I don't know how select the XZ plane for machining.
If I don't rotate the part, I can't simulate the machining either in 0.18 or 0.19 :?:

thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can't mill in any other direction than XY. That's why there is a clone created which you can turn into the direction of your desire.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adamis

Post by adamis »

I encountered what looks to be a similar issue while exporting some g-code. I'm running Arch Linux and FreeCAD 0.19 version 20639. I'm getting the following errors:

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'Path_Post' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPost.py", line 397, in Activated
    (fail, rc) = self.exportObjectsWith(finalpostlist, job)
  File "/usr/lib/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPost.py", line 212, in exportObjectsWith
    gcode = processor.export(objs, filename, postArgs)
  File "/usr/lib/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPostProcessor.py", line 102, in export
    return self.script.export(obj, filename, args)
  File "/usr/lib/freecad/Mod/Path/PathScripts/post/centroid_post.py", line 170, in export
    if isinstance(item.Proxy, PathScripts.PathToolController.ToolController):

'_TempObject' object has no attribute 'Proxy'
Full disclosure... I'm using Sketchup to do my modeling then exporting as an STL file and importing into FreeCAD and converting to a solid then using the path work bench to create G-Code. Yes, it's a convoluted process and ideally I would just build these parts in FreeCAD and skip the headaches but every time I sit down to try to learn FreeCAD, I struggle with it. Maybe some day I'll get there (just using the path workbench has helped me learn some things).

All of that being said, is there a fix for the exporting of the G-Code that will make it into the Arch package? Thanks in advance...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You should tell us which postprocessor you use. To me this looks like a different issue.

Concerning your workflow: It really sounds horrible, with not really good results. As it seems sufficient for your purposes you may look if there aren't other tools out there generating the tool paths directly.
adamis

Post by adamis »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize I needed to select a post processor. I selected LinuxCNC and reran the export and it worked fine.

As for my workflow, yes, I agree it isn't great and leads to some pretty mediocre results. For this part in question I tried for about two hours to create my part in FreeCAD and gave up after my sketch in part design ended up with all sorts of unsolved degrees of freedom I couldn't identify to fix. I'm sure there are methods and tools I could have used to fix the problem but I just don't know them at this point.

I totaly understand that this is due to my highly limited knowledge of how FreeCAD works. My problem is that I could spend hundreds of hours and months of time trying to learn FreeCAD (that in the long run would probably end up saving me time with an improved workflow) but never get the simple part I need modeled correctly this week. Or, I can fire up Sketchup, spend about twenty minutes to create the part I need and then just try to deal with the importing / solid issues in FreeCAD.

So as much as I agree it would be better just to learn FreeCAD, getting myself motivated to sit down and really learn it is hard for me to commit to.

Thanks for the quick reply.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For simple parts FreeCAD is rather simple too - if you know which workbenches and tools to use. You may upload your file to the help section of the forum to get a quick walk through. I'm possibly off for a couple of hours, but others may respond quickly.