Ubuntu 20.04 and Daily Builds (Freecad 0.19)

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Ubuntu 20.04

Post by kkremitzki »

Great, thanks, I'll do some investigation on building it this way and if it works I can submit a bugfix for the Ubuntu package, although that process can take a bit.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Hi kkremitzki, do you have any idea if this PPA can be achieved for Ubuntu 20.04?

AppImage is not perfect for me since I have scripts that use python sources from Freecad in the command line without the Freecad app itself (mostly to avoid the GUI) and the AppImage does not gives us these python scripts. Maybe mounting/unpacking it I can have that, but it is not there out-of-the-box like when installing through the apt and/or deb files. I am saying that because I don't use Freecad in only one machine, and I have other friends that use it and they are really slow to learn new tricks.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

It's possible but I've only just cleared out some prerequisites to be able to address this... I should hopefully have it done soon ™, over the next couple weeks I'd guess.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Alright, this looks promising. Let us know if you are facing something hard to overcome.
mderouss

Post by mderouss »

FYI, following hko's approach ( thankyou ! ), and some excellent build documentation ( quite a rarity, thankyou :D ), I've also managed to now get an apparently working ( at least so far... ) build of .19 for Ubuntu 20.04. There appears to be an issue with some missing VTL related files, but this did not prevent the build - not sure what the root cause is, it may simply be a problem with the VTL cmakes. There is already a launchpad bug raised for this. I didn't analyse all the warnings kicked out by the build, most looked benign, though there were some 'potential use before initialised' ones that might be worth looking at.
JHB

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 and Daily Builds (Freecad 0.19)

Post by JHB »

I have installed the snap.
It works so far after fixing the fonts, but the FEM doesn't work, and I am not sure how to get it working.
The SNAP creates its own virtual filesystem, but gmsh is an external program that creates the mesh. Since Freecad puts the object in a /tmp directory inside the snap, gmsh doesn't find it, as it looks for it in the OS /tmp directory.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

JHB wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:34 pm I have installed the snap...
Please notice that there are two snaps now, so you need to be careful about what you report.

* Old, 0.19 Snap Preview needs "testers"
* New, Discussion: State of the snap (Snap Packaging)

If you want to report anything about the snaps, you better do it in one of those threads.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
JurgenG

Post by JurgenG »

Just want to send out a small (big!) thank you shout out to the team who got FreeCAD 0.19 up and running under Ubuntu 20.04.
Today, using the PPA, I ended up with a working FreeCAD! :!: :!: THANKS :!: :!:
Free as in freedom.
Free as in beer - but please... don't forget to occasionally pay for your drinks.
* FreeCAD * Inkscape * LibreOffice * Ubuntu * OBS Studio * Netcloud *
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

JurgenG wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:17 pm Just want to send out a small (big!) thank you shout out to the team who got FreeCAD 0.19 up and running under Ubuntu 20.04.
Today, using the PPA, I ended up with a working FreeCAD! :!: :!: THANKS :!: :!:
Good to hear!