Request Feature: Pad up to face for a face

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Request Feature: Pad up to face for a face

Post by Vincent B »

Up to face (and last and first) mode for an Pad or Pocket feature is not able when a face is selected instead a sketch.
We can redraw a sketch from this face, but it's could be useful and faster for a complex shape that can change itself.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21097 (Git)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Request Feature: Pad up to face for a face

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

A Pad up to the face will not work even if it is a Bspline surface. And if surfaces have several patches it unfortunately doesn't work either. This is a bug that should be fixed.
Pad_up_to_face.png
Pad_up_to_face.png (47.69 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 am A Pad up to the face will not work even if it is a Bspline surface. And if surfaces have several patches it unfortunately doesn't work either. This is a bug that should be fixed.
From the formal side I'm not sure if it is a bug or a feature request.

The two previous requirements are difficult to reconcile. While it is clear to me where the selected face in GlouGlou's example should end it is not at all clear with a curved surface. Could you elaborate on that?

I have another request which could very well be combined with GlouGlou's request: With sketches being detached form a surface it would very often come handy to have not only "up to first" but rather "up to second". That would be toponaming safe as opposed to explicitely selecting the face.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

chrisb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 am A Pad up to the face will not work even if it is a Bspline surface. And if surfaces have several patches it unfortunately doesn't work either. This is a bug that should be fixed.
From the formal side I'm not sure if it is a bug or a feature request.
Up to face means up to the face, without ifs and buts, see Onshape:
Onshape_Extrude_up_to_face.png
Onshape_Extrude_up_to_face.png (121.39 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
chrisb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am The two previous requirements are difficult to reconcile. While it is clear to me where the selected face in GlouGlou's example should end it is not at all clear with a curved surface. Could you elaborate on that?
In other CAD systems, one or more surfaces are selected and then extruded up to these surfaces. What is not understandable about this?
chrisb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am I have another request which could very well be combined with GlouGlou's request: With sketches being detached form a surface it would very often come handy to have not only "up to first" but rather "up to second". That would be toponaming safe as opposed to explicitely selecting the face.
Good idea. Take a look at the Top5 closed source 3D-CAD programs that have such a function - and extruding up to a selected face is common practice, because topo-naming problems are almost non-existent with these programs. Realthunder has the topo-naming problem quite well under control.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 am Up to face means up to the face, without ifs and buts, see Onshape:
If there is a face everywhere you are right. But I cannot see from the image nor did you tell how and where the part is continued beyond the existing face.
In other CAD systems, one or more surfaces are selected and then extruded up to these surfaces. What is not understandable about this?
I agree on this selection of multiple faces, and the meaning is rather clear to me. The problems occur with the extensions where none of the faces is met. And there it is not very helpful to quote other systems, because not everybody has access to those systems.

If you consider such a model ...
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-24 um 12.03.18.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-24 um 12.03.18.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
... and you want to pad the green face up to the yellow. Where should it end? How should it follow the arcs? How should the definition for such behaviour look like?

I attach the model, because the 2D image may not show all aspects of the 3D model. Perhaps you can create a mockup?
Attachments
padUpToExtendedCurvedFace.FCStd
(17.26 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Frankly, I don't see why you want to complicate things unnecessarily.
GlouGlou had pointed out that a pad to face does not work in PartDesign as expected. Therefore he had provided a picture with an arrow, for me the task was understandable. I tried it and found out that GlouGlou is right. I suspect a bug. Pad to Face should definitely be able to extrude to faces, to contiguous bpline faces and to those that consist of several patches - and for me it's clear that this should be geometrically possible up to face, like when you intentionally extrude much longer and then cut to the desired face via a boolean cut.

Unfortunately I can't do anything with your example. What should be extruded where? Please describe in detail.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:01 pm Unfortunately I can't do anything with your example. What should be extruded where? Please describe in detail.
If it's all that clear, please tell me how the result in my example should look like if you
- take "Sketch"
- pad to the face marked in yellow in my previous post.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

chrisb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:15 pm If you
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:01 pm Unfortunately I can't do anything with your example. What should be extruded where? Please describe in detail.
If it's all that clear, please tell me how the result in my example should look like if you
- take "Sketch"
- pad to the face marked in yellow in my previous post.
I had already written that we need a geometrically solvable geometry. A large square does not fit into a smaller sphere.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=creo+extrude+ ... ace&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=catia+extrude ... ace&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=onshape+extru ... ace&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=solidworks+ex ... ace&ia=web
Chrisb_Onshape_Extrude_up_to_face.gif
Chrisb_Onshape_Extrude_up_to_face.gif (681.85 KiB) Viewed 2160 times