Back to Basics

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Dreadnought

Back to Basics

Post by Dreadnought »

Hi All,
I've decided to learn to crawl before I start to walk with FreeCAD, so back to the tutorials and on how to draw a shape 101 I'm falling at the first hurdle. I can get a far as drawing the 5 lines of the shape, however, after many (many) attempts and reading and rereading the step by step guide, I'm unable to get the shape to have constraints as stated in the text. I'm definitely getting the red dots to turn yellow, I've bought a better mouse and a better (gaming) mouse pad but still I don't seem to be getting the accuracy on the dot's when they change colour to keep the shape constrained. Is there a step missing from the guide or am I too dumb to use 3D CAD?

Thanks for any help.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Back to Basics

Post by TheMarkster »

You are not too dumb to do 3d cad. While there is a lot to learn, none of the individual bits are particularly difficult.

You can increase the default pick radius so preselection occurs with the mouse pointer a bit further from the desired object. Go to the Edit menu -> preferences -> display -> colors -> pick radius (px) (set this to some higher value).
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Dreadnought wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:31 pm ... Is there a step missing from the guide or am I too dumb to use 3D CAD?
Which guide?

You ALWAYS have to mention the guide that you are following. Post a link. Otherwise it's impossible for the forum readers to guess what you are doing.

Always give details, do not save on this aspect. If you want help, you need to provide information and details, Important information.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:44 pm Go to the Edit menu -> preferences -> display -> colors -> pick radius (px) (set this to some higher value).
You can at the same time increase the point size by preferences -> display -> 3DView->MarkerSize
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Hi,
Thanks for the advice on the pick radius, that hasn't helped, so as also requested I'm following "Creating a simple part with PartDesign" and I'm unable to get past "Let's start with the first segments" as the constraints don't seem to lock as suggested in the text, please see file.

Cheers
Attachments
FreeCAD Basic Shape V1.FCStd
As far as I can get
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Dreadnought wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:38 am please see file.
the points in the sketch are not actually connected:

PD_tuto.png
PD_tuto.png (260.84 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

In order to connect those points, select 2 of them (left mouse button), they will turn yellow, and select the coincidence constraint: (there are easier ways, you'll discover them in time, but this is the last fallback, good to know)

PD_tuto2.png
PD_tuto2.png (268.2 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Zolko wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:36 am In order to connect those points, select 2 of them (left mouse button), they will turn yellow,
With the default configuration the points turn yellow if you hover the mouse over them - we call that a "preselection". If you click them they turn green (slightly darker than the green indicating fully constraintness.

In 0.18 you may have to toggle Autoconstraints off and on to make it work.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Dreadnought wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:38 am Hi,
Thanks for the advice on the pick radius, that hasn't helped, so as also requested I'm following "Creating a simple part with PartDesign" and I'm unable to get past "Let's start with the first segments" as the constraints don't seem to lock as suggested in the text, please see file.

Cheers
Just we have an idea of what "guide" is being used...cuz, I sure didn't. :? I did a search on the phrase and found this:

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_ ... PartDesign

@Dreadnought can you confirm this is what you're working from? :?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

hi
In the Sketcher workshop, there are no "Snap" functions as they are found in Draft or other CAD (for those with imported experience)
But we must be attentive to the small simbole that appear when we approach a vector, an end or an axis. This means that a kind of "Snap" function is activated and that it is enough to click at this moment to get the junction of the end points or tangential link