Merge sketches and other questions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Merge sketches and other questions

Post by GeneFC »

I got numerous errors about the improper uses of "holes". It appears that you are using these objects for general purposes rather than for threaded holes.

Threaded holes have specific requirements for thread sizes that do not work correctly for general purpose openings. Use "pocket" instead.

It is unfortunate that the threaded version uses the name "holes", as it frequently causes confusion. However, that's the way it is.

Gene
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:05 pm I got numerous errors about the improper uses of "holes". It appears that you are using these objects for general purposes rather than for threaded holes.

Threaded holes have specific requirements for thread sizes that do not work correctly for general purpose openings. Use "pocket" instead.

It is unfortunate that the threaded version uses the name "holes", as it frequently causes confusion. However, that's the way it is.

Gene
I used pockets to go through and holes for threaded only. I do not use holes for anything but threaded.

That is odd. For each hole I used threaded m6 or m6.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Troymx576 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:54 pm I am now trying to figure out how to fuse and union items
Working in PartDesign you don't have to fuse or union anything. It is done automatically with each feature.

I think it is correct to use a PartDesign->Hole for a circular pocket. Set Profile to none and set diameter and depth. There isn't much benefit over a pocket, but as soon as you use countersinks it is a huge advantage over a chamfered pocket concerning toponame stability.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:38 pm
Troymx576 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:54 pm I am now trying to figure out how to fuse and union items
Working in PartDesign you don't have to fuse or union anything. It is done automatically with each feature.

I think it is correct to use a PartDesign->Hole for a circular pocket. Set Profile to none and set diameter and depth. There isn't much benefit over a pocket, but as soon as you use countersinks it is a huge advantage over a chamfered pocket concerning toponame stability.
That is good to know that I can work in part design as that is what I know and if it fuses together then it should work. Do you know why my chamfer will not go to .125" at that spot? Maybe it is an error then?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It is the adjacent line which must not be touched. Refine and it should work.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

I have a new question and was not sure if I should post a new topic or just continue here. I am sure it is a noob question again.

My buddy uses solidworks and I have the Step file. I put that into Freecad and got all the needed dimensions from it. I build the item and then tried to add the final chamfer on the front, but it will not do it. I am not sure why.

The main question then is how do I add the chamfer like the solidworks modeled part?

When building the part I worked in part design and started with the base and added to it. I tried to add cylinders on top, but it kept giving me the part is not attached or two solid object error, hence the direction I took in building it.

On that note is it better to add pads to a part or start with a larger area and take away, such as a mill would do? So start large and use pockets or start smaller and add pads? You would think both can get to the same result, but not sure if Freecad is really designed to be one way more than another.

Also, I found, what I think is, an error. I added a chamfer to a connection point and it made a chamfer stick out form the body. Odd. I left it in so you all can see it if it need to be reported or something. Again, Freecad 18.

Thanks again for the help,
Troy
Attachments
Troy Radial Bracket v003.FCStd
freecad file
(123.92 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
solidworks pic
solidworks pic
freecadradialbracketsolidworks01.png (13.48 KiB) Viewed 503 times
freecad pic
freecad pic
freecadradialbracket01.png (30.52 KiB) Viewed 503 times
crazy fillet
crazy fillet
freecadradialbracket02oddfillet.png (46.41 KiB) Viewed 503 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I use 0.19 and it works better here, however, not perfect, because due to internal rounding errors - so I guess - the selected lines in this image are not perfectly aligned:
Snip macro screenshot-7d6884.png
Snip macro screenshot-7d6884.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 496 times
the lower shows a z-value of 35.000004, the upper of 35.00000.
But even if that could be corrected, the fillets may fail due to the very sharp angle at the outer side and the arbitrarily small angle at the other.