New overlay mode (Now ready for testing)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: New overlay mode (Now ready for testing)

Post by adrianinsaval »

Thanks realthunder, I don't get what these two are?
realthunder wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am * Edit mode in SpreadSheet
* Sketch defining/detached external geometry
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

pablogil wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:27 pm With such a great branch wit incredible new features, I would like to share a feature request I have just done and I think you may be interested in adding it into your branch.
:roll:

Cheers
+1
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
OficineRobotica

Small feature request:

-can we have a slide in/out animation of the reveal for the autohide function of the overlayed docks? Similar to the one you implemented for the pie menu. This would give such a cool touch of polish to the implementation.

-the hidden docks should have a always visible small triangle arrow or something larger than one pixel for the user to hit for revealing the panel. That would also give a hint to the user of the existence of the hidden panel. I also remember someone mentioning leaving the names of the panels present in a dock visible when in auto hide mode. That would serve the purpose also but in my opinion would add to the clutter.

-is it possible to have the auto hide function even if not in overlay mode? I mean with regular panels? With animation and all. Just a thought.

realthunder wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am
* Calling python functions in expression
* Use python like statements in expression (if, else, while, etc)
I don't know how I managed to skip this one. In my opinion it is a real game changer. Can we please have an example or a link where we can read more about the use of it?

Cheers.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:39 pm Thanks realthunder, I don't get what these two are?
realthunder wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am * Edit mode in SpreadSheet
* Sketch defining/detached external geometry
Somehow missed you question. The Spreadsheet edit mode is described here. There are a few new modes in the current release. I'll update the document later. Sketch feature demo can be found here. Be sure to turn on subtitle (the CC button).
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:29 am -can we have a slide in/out animation of the reveal for the autohide function of the overlayed docks? Similar to the one you implemented for the pie menu. This would give such a cool touch of polish to the implementation.
I'll add that later.

-the hidden docks should have a always visible small triangle arrow or something larger than one pixel for the user to hit for revealing the panel. That would also give a hint to the user of the existence of the hidden panel. I also remember someone mentioning leaving the names of the panels present in a dock visible when in auto hide mode. That would serve the purpose also but in my opinion would add to the clutter.
That's a debatable feature. I can probably add an option for that. My argument against this is that by default the docks are not auto hidden. It is the user who initiate the auto hidden feature, so he/she must've known this feature, and there is already a line hint when mouse is over the edge. Having a triangle always hanging just obscures the space IMO.

-is it possible to have the auto hide function even if not in overlay mode? I mean with regular panels? With animation and all. Just a thought.
Animating in non-overlay mode requires continuously resizing both the dock and 3D view, there might be some performance issue, but I can try and see.

realthunder wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am * Calling python functions in expression
* Use python like statements in expression (if, else, while, etc)
I don't know how I managed to skip this one. In my opinion it is a real game changer. Can we please have an example or a link where we can read more about the use of it?
You can find more information here. Scroll to the bottom for a demo 'expression script'.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
OficineRobotica

Animating in non-overlay mode requires continuously resizing both the dock and 3D view, there might be some performance issue, but I can try and see.
I haven't thought about the resizing issue. When in overlay mode we already have the option to have an opaque dock so that already serves the purpose. I guess it isn't worth while to bother with this feature.

As for the triangle visible for the hidden doks you are right. I also like less clutter possible. Just make so that the active area needed for revealing a dock is a bit wider than the line hint.

Animation for the reveal would be cool tough :)

Thank you for the expression links.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:28 pm Animation for the reveal would be cool tough :)
New image released with the animation. You can even play around with the animation curve in the preference settings, just for fun.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

realthunder wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 am
HakanSeven12 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 am Can you add a widget like this when dock collapsed? It would be nice to see which dock is at which side.
That's nice. I'll see if I can add it. It might have some conflict with the way I implement it, because you can have non-overlay and overlay dock at the same side.
What about this one? Can you do something for it?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:10 pm What about this one? Can you do something for it?
I'll try in the next release.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New image released. New support for tab bar hint on auto hidden dock overlay as suggested by HakanSeven12. It looks nice, except that the tab bar may block some underlying widgets. You can temporary hide the tab bar by press ESC key. If it wasn't for this little inconvenience, I would have make this tab bar hint as default. BTW, I find it more natural to disable 'Activate on hover' when enabling 'Tab bar hint'. You can either click the tab bar or the hint line to activate the hidden overlay.
Screenshot from 2020-08-01 18-25-59.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-01 18-25-59.png (69.6 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
overlay-hint.gif
overlay-hint.gif (223.18 KiB) Viewed 1999 times