Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by shaise »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:28 pm When I select the workbench there is no Fasteners menu (i.e. between Menu and Window)
Can you update and check?

also you might consider grouping fasteners into separate toolbars. It is more manageable in the UI. (edit->preferences->fasteners)
sep_toolbars.png
sep_toolbars.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
septoolbars-2.png
septoolbars-2.png (42.14 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

shaise wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 am
drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:28 pm When I select the workbench there is no Fasteners menu (i.e. between Menu and Window)
Can you update and check?

also you might consider grouping fasteners into separate toolbars. It is more manageable in the UI. (edit->preferences->fasteners)
sep_toolbars.png
septoolbars-2.png
Interesting. I had updated just before I posted that.

This AM, I did my normal apt update/upgrade for the daily build and checked, still no menu.
Then I did the update of the Fasteners WB from AddonManager and the menu is there.

Dunno... :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
shaise

Post by shaise »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 am Interesting. I had updated just before I posted that.
Simple reason - it really wasn't there before you posted it... :roll:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Fasteners is not included in the core system and thus is not updated with the rest of FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:56 amDunno...
chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:25 pm Fasteners is not included in the core system and thus is not updated with the rest of FreeCAD.
Hopefully soon, thanks to @mnesarco [repository] we may have logic in the Addon Manager to report when installed addons have pending updates. Here's my exchange with him regarding this feature.

For now, it's useful to run the Addon Manager manually before your FC session.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:33 pm
For now, it's useful to run the Addon Manager manually before your FC session.
Yes, but the confusion here started because I started FC, then did an add on update of Fasteners, then restarted FC, and there was no Fasteners menu.

Then I asked why.

This AM, I did the same process and the menu is there.

I take @shaise comment above to mean the menu was missing in the update and the newest update has the menu.

In any case, it there now. :)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:06 pm I take @shaise comment above to mean the menu was missing in the update and the newest update has the menu.
I see now. Thanks for the explanation and excuse my misunderstanding. ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

shaise wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:16 pm
While experimenting to do the documentation I generated a BOM.

What is the workflow to get the BOM out of FC?

I can cut and paste the cells. But, Is there a way to generate, for example, a CSV file or just export the spreadsheet to LibreOffice Calc or that Excel?

Also, How does one add an arbitrary diameter/pitch tap/die for 3D printing? Or can it be done with Fastener WB?
shaise

Post by shaise »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm I can cut and paste the cells. But, Is there a way to generate, for example, a CSV file or just export the spreadsheet to LibreOffice Calc or that Excel?
just go to the spreadsheet workbench, and you have export options.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

shaise wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:19 pm
drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm I can cut and paste the cells. But, Is there a way to generate, for example, a CSV file or just export the spreadsheet to LibreOffice Calc or that Excel?
just go to the spreadsheet workbench, and you have export options.
Duh. :oops:
Never explored the spreadsheet workbench further than using it for model dimensions and such. Thus, it never crossed my mind to look there.

Learn something new every day. ;)