Call for screenshots

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Aleks

Re: Call for screenshots

Post by Aleks »

Are those models from a bigger assembly?
mike_262 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:26 am I am attempting to utilise my "free" time during the lock down getting through some of the old files I have been meaning to fix the last 10 years or so.
One of the main things was to get the files all sorted and get some of them converted from formats I no longer have access to as well.In some cases I find it's just better for me to take the 2D .pdf files I have and remake the model from scratch.
I'm pretty happy with my current setup:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21125 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 40600a55c2fe71ff589be677f6e427ccc937d003
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

-----------
Kernel: 5.4.0-7634-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (24) @ 4.000GH
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/57
Memory: 4538MiB / 15991MiB

I will be happier when I can get back to the Daily branch but it's all good for now.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Aleks wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm Are those models from a bigger assembly?
Please quote only the text relevant for your answer. It makes the posts easier to read by less clutter and concentrating on the essentials. If people want to know more, they can easily follow the little blue up-arrow.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mike_262

Post by mike_262 »

Hey Aleks,
Most of what we do in the restoration of aircraft is fabricating from sheetmetal one-off parts by hand. When it comes to parts that are machined either in house or shopped out we make 3D models and 2D drawings to ensure that we can verify design and function. Primarily small assemblies rather than a complete model of the aircraft we do components as required.
We have taken over incomplete projects from other companies and have had failures of components made by others due to poor tolerance control or Q.C.
Here is our number 2 aircraft in test flight:
phpBB [video]

Our first Me262 Replica slid off the runway during landing on the second flight due to poor tolerance control in the landing gear components that were provided to us "ready to fly" by another contractor. Repairs cost $260,000USD and 6 months. Thank the good lord that out pilot Wolfgang Czia was unharmed in the incident. Me and Wolfgang on the wing at 0:55
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I was never much interested in (old) airplanes but the Me262 had already impressed me as a boy. There was one thing that always bothered me: It looks as if there is almost no load on the frontwheel. Perhaps you can drop a few words about that.

Did you restore the original engines or are some modern replacements inside?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mike_262

Post by mike_262 »

We used "modern" engines in our planes. G.E. engines from the 1960's as they were much more reliable and more economically maintained. We paid about $35,000USD for the first pair of engines we purchased with good cycles remaining, about 1/4 life remaining. Rumor has it that The Flying Heritage Museum has spent millions repairing 2 Jumo 004 engines for the original Me262 they have. Been in work alot of years too.
As for weight in the nose, we installed 475 pounds of lead and 2x 98 pound batteries to make up for the lack of cannons and armor plates.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the info, so the arms are where the weight in the nose came from.
mike_262

Post by mike_262 »

Another note:
We have to make up for the weight of the cannon and armor for the airplane to fly. We did not add the weight that would have been above that for the ammunition that would have been there as well, another 400 and something pounds.
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 am
wieszak17 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 pm Made just for fun...
Would you mind telling a bit about the modeling? Workbench used, double mirrors, limits you encountered, problems to be solved, ...
Workbench - only Part Design and Part - no assembly workbench used. It was rather easy work - only problematic thing was a few casted elements - not all fillets are made because of crashes. But i blame opencascade for that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks!
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

I was doing some testing on a tower pc with a ultra wide monitor and thought that Freecad looks just beautiful.
Using LinkStage3 branch with overlay interface and shadows activated in the view port.
hydroBrake.jpeg
hydroBrake.jpeg (387.95 KiB) Viewed 29754 times
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica