uwestoehr wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm
Some remarks for you new page: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_HowTo_Page
* section: "Change the Template File of a Drawing":
We already have a nive tutorial about templates: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_TemplateHowTo
Can you please add there a new section about the template file change? Then we have all template-related info collected in one page.
* section "Keyboard shortcuts for Dimensions":
What shortcuts are available is already provided in the TechDraw menu, therefore we don't need to list them in the Wiki again.
To discuss about new shortcuts we have the forum, so the Wiki should not inform about ongoing discussions.
So in total I would say, this section can go.
I hope I don't discourage you with this.
Maybe we should discuss about Wiki additions in this thread? There is already many info available, maybe just distributed over several pages. So to improve the docs we should discuss and collect the issues here.
Thanks for your feedback. Don't worry you do not disourage me.
Maybe a general word about the howTos. The idea is that if I get stuck I have two sources: the docu page that offeres info structured by function and this HowTo page that offers info structured by task or Issue. My experience tells me you can not mix both very well. You said yourself in a post above, additional infos should not be on the main documentation page. In that case this was a troubelshooting item, i.e. in my FreeCAD installation the default was centermarks false and it took me a few hours of searching to find out what is the problem. If I know there were HowTo pages I would check those first. Since I have those offline in the help file, its valuable to collect information there. The main difference to the tutorials is that they only provide text summaries or step by step bullet point lists. They assume that you have a basic orientation but are just lost somewhere. They do not need an image to tell you where the property panel is. Thus its a lot of information with a small data footprint.
I am quite motivated in this, because I have been using FreeCAD since a few years but had a steep learning curve because I used it only a few weeks intensively and then a few month not at all. So I think I can very well put myself in a new user shoes and see things that pose difficulties that an expert would not spot any more. Personally I find FreeCAD such a useful endeavour that I think I should give back something where I am an expert: newbie issues.
* I actually have considered to add it to the tutorial. In the mean time I saw that you moved it already to the tutorial. I had a look, and must admit I don't think it placed well, because it breaks the flow. I did that tutrial yesterday and I can tell you that at that point I want to know how to create a template page, not how to change on on an existing drawing. If at all, this info should go to the end of the page. Thats where I followed the tutorial and have a file that I can load in FreeCAD. Thats where I see what did ot work and then - and only then - I need to find a solution to swap my file. So we could move it to the bottom. But I think the better solution is to move it back to the HowTo page and in the last chapter place a sentence with a link to this on the HowTo page. That way two use cases are covered: people browsing tips around the WB and people doing the tutorial. Now only one is covered. Think about it, in the mean time I put a link to the HowTo page.
* Just saw your posts while I am writing... Your two layout alternatives. Forgive me, but I can not see a difference. Or is it just that the TOC is on the right?
* Your TechDraw menu does list short cuts? I agree that if it would look like the Assembly3 WB we would not need a wiki entry for that, otherwise we would. This is how my menu is looking. The only think I customizes in TechDraw is the template folder...
OS: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (XFCE/xubuntu)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21938 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
If you say information is already in the wiki elsewhere, that is great. So lets put up links to them, should we? Depending on where the info is, we should consider moving them to a place that gets added into the offline help file. Stuff that would be really nice is e.g. TNP Issues to TD, updating issues, how to mapping "lost" dimensions, autofill the editable fields, how to auto-number multiple sheets, howto auto-align dimensions, how to make BOMs. Howto make cross sections, known limiations (devs hate that one, users love it