GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Suraj Dadral

Re: GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Post by Suraj Dadral »

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm Hi @Suraj,
Hi @balrobs

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm I've testet your lastest code ... Wonderful progress!
Here are some more considerations:
  • I noticed that after the creation of the drawings, labels/dimensions have a wrong position ... they are translated from the structure element. BTW a "recompute" or F5 realigns them properly.
I will add recompute at appropriate place in next commit.

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm
  • I think it would be usefull if labels/dimensions that belong to parallel laid reinforcements (i.e. mark m1 in following esample) could show also their mutual distance. Maybe this could be done by extending the dimension format from "%M %C⌀%D" to something like this "%M %C⌀%D, a=%I"
    test_beam.JPG
For now, proceeding as suggested by @amrit3701, but created issue here regarding same to do it later.

• How is the "Way Points Type" property ment to work?
If WayPointsType is set to "Automatic", then dimension line points will be calculated automatically for each rebar. But, if it is set to "Custom", then user can also specify the dimension line points in property "WayPoints", thus giving capability to user to edit rebar dimensioning.

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm In addition I modeled a retaining wall as a more generic structure, making it parametric in order to be able to test dimensioning behaviour when things change.
Thats great. :D

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm Then I realized, as you said in a previous post, that labeling can't be done for custom rebars. That makes me sad! Unfortunately all my rebars are custom rebars designed by a sketch :(
I have one good news for you and for @All here. ;)
I manually added RebarShape property to each rebar object and assigned them rebar type which best matches with one of the rebar types supported by Reinforcement workbench.
So, in future, we can also create a function to do above job automatically, thus extending support for custom rebars. And created issue regarding same here.

Here is modified model with reinforcement drawing and dimensioning:
Retaining Wall.FCStd
(340.11 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
wall_dwg.png
wall_dwg.png (153.66 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm BTW i noticed also other problems when creating the drawings. Only a few drawings are crearted and this is the report view:

Can you please have a look at it?
The problem is, we are using Draft.getSVG() function to create drawing of custom rebars. And that function is returning empty value for some cutom rebars.
So, did some exception handing as per this commit: https://github.com/SurajDadral/FreeCAD- ... a5f74c398f

Thanks,
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Hi @Suraj, hi @amrit3701,
Suraj Dadral wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 pm
  • I think it would be usefull if labels/dimensions that belong to parallel laid reinforcements (i.e. mark m1 in following esample) could show also their mutual distance. Maybe this could be done by extending the dimension format from "%M %C⌀%D" to something like this "%M %C⌀%D, a=%I"
    test_beam.JPG
For now, proceeding as suggested by @amrit3701, but created issue here regarding same to do it later.

That's fine for me, you have a better overview of your resources and how long it will take to reach your goal. But let me explain better why i thing this is important. Imagine at construction site, the following reinforcement-bars must be laid for a concrete slab.
concrete_slab.png
concrete_slab.png (133.5 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
A worker would take 5+10+5=20 rebars with mark-nr. 1, start at a slab edge and lay down the first 5 rebars at a distance of 10cm, then the next 10 rebars at a distance of 15cm and at the end again 5 rebars at a distance of 10cm. If he can't find the info about the mutual distance in the dimensioning of the rebars (he will neighter find it in rebar cut list nor in the bar bending schedule, will he?) then he must do calculations by himself which may lead to errors!
Suraj Dadral wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 pm
  • How is the "Way Points Type" property ment to work?
If WayPointsType is set to "Automatic", then dimension line points will be calculated automatically for each rebar. But, if it is set to "Custom", then user can also specify the dimension line points in property "WayPoints", thus giving capability to user to edit rebar dimensioning.

Thank you for clarifying!
Let me take the opportunity to tell you that you are doing a great job. Just keep it up :P
Greetings!
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm
But, as always suggestions are welcome :) for modification or suggesting other approach.

Thanks,
I have a suggestion for creating sections for beam and columns, we can draw rebars with real diameter and hole circle for non continued rebar and hatch it for continues rebars, like this one:
beam_section.png
beam_section.png (25.46 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm ... let me explain better why i thing this is important. Imagine at construction site, the following reinforcement-bars must be laid for a concrete slab.
concrete_slab.png
A worker would take 5+10+5=20 rebars with mark-nr. 1, start at a slab edge and lay down the first 5 rebars at a distance of 10cm, then the next 10 rebars at a distance of 15cm and at the end again 5 rebars at a distance of 10cm. If he can't find the info about the mutual distance in the dimensioning of the rebars (he will neighter find it in rebar cut list nor in the bar bending schedule, will he?) then he must do calculations by himself which may lead to errors!
totally agree with this one.
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:49 pm I have a suggestion for creating sections for beam and columns, we can draw rebars with real diameter and hole circle for non continued rebar and hatch it for continues rebars, like this one:
Hi @ebrahim raeyat

Thanks for this great suggestion. But for now, section drawing is out of the project scope due to GSoC time constraints.
So, created an issue regarding this here to implement it later.

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

balrobs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm ... let me explain better why i thing this is important. Imagine at construction site, the following reinforcement-bars must be laid for a concrete slab.
concrete_slab.png
Hi @balrobs

Thanks for detailed explanation. I will implement it.

bernd wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:54 pm totally agree with this one.
Hi @bernd

I will be implementing it after finishing current task.

Today me and @amrit3701 discussed more about the same.
As in below image (column with straight rebars from top view), straight rebars are represented as dots.
Their dimensioning can be done
1. By extending dimension lines inside the structure to their respective rebar points. (As did for rebar 1, 5, 6 left side)
2. By creating dimension lines outside the structure. (As did for rebar 3, 4 right side)
column_straight_rebars_top_view.png
column_straight_rebars_top_view.png (130.44 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

According to us, the 1st method as default looks better. Please suggest if you don't think so.

Thanks,
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 am
According to us, the 1st method as default looks better. Please suggest if you don't think so.

Thanks,
Hi @suraj Dadral, I think for this situation we can implement section's manner that I mentioned in the above post, we must write just the number of rebars and their diameter and the arrange of rebars will be found from their diameter in section. In my country, this approach is very common.
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Suraj Dadral wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 am Today me and @amrit3701 discussed more about the same.
As in below image (column with straight rebars from top view), straight rebars are represented as dots.
Their dimensioning can be done
1. By extending dimension lines inside the structure to their respective rebar points. (As did for rebar 1, 5, 6 left side)
2. By creating dimension lines outside the structure. (As did for rebar 3, 4 right side)

Hi @all,
I totally agree, 1st method looks better and is clearer. With its implementation I think we have all neccessary labeling styles to create wonderfull reinforcement plans. Let's quickly report an overview table with some of IMHO most important labeling styles (good for section views and front views):
labeling_styles.jpg
labeling_styles.jpg (381.7 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
I assume that most of them have already been implemented in one form or the other.
If we have the possibility to switch from one style to another and to control
1. position of dimension line with deltaY (inside or outside of the structure)
2. position of labeling text with deltaX (to avoid conflicts with other labels)
3. rotating of labeling text with phi (to avoid conflicts with other labels)
we will rock! :D
I know it's a lot of work ... and thankfully the motto is: "it's done when it's done".
Greetings
balrobs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

+1 to balrobs.

BTW: I only use inner straight rebars in columns if really nesesary. I try to avoid them if possible. One of twenty columns have them. May be even less. Other engineers do might use them more often.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

balrobs wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm
I think, in real-world, we have a column in several stories and I think style 1 is not applicable, because we have almost a column on top of a column.
columns.png
columns.png (144.57 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
complete special drawing file with EtabsMate software.