STEP files

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jenjack

Re: STEP files

Post by Jenjack »

I think that I have downloaded the macro but how do I download the toolbar icon and use it?
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Macro_cross_section
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am how do I download the toolbar icon
Right-click the image in your browser and select 'Save image as...'.

Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am how do I ... use it?
See Interface_Customization#Macros
Jenjack

Post by Jenjack »

Thanks but I'm sorry for my ignorance - I need to be 'spoon fed' about using FreeCAD!

I didn't have a 'Save image as" but 'Save link as.' I saved it to my desktop but then what? How do I get it into a tool bar?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

IMO the image file should not be placed on the desktop.

Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:54 pm How do I get it into a tool bar?
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:45 pm See Interface_Customization#Macros
Jenjack

Post by Jenjack »

I feel that I am just going round in circles! I do not have the detailed knowledge that you chaps have about FreeCAD. As I dsaid in a previous post I need to be 'spoon fed' - step by step.

It would appear that I need to download a macro described by easyw-fc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 am
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Macro_cross_section

My problem is not being able to download the cross section macro. I cannot get to this interface.
Interface_Customization#Macros

Once I have the cross section macro loaded along with its toolbar icon then I can carry out a cross section routine as described by by jmaustpc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 am.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To add an icon in the toolbar is just for convenience. If you installed it with the addon manager you can call it via menu->Macro->Macros, select the macro and click Execute.
The step by step instructions for installing it in a toolbar you ask for are linked above. It won't get better if we repeat them here.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pmstep by step
  1. Download the macro with the Std_AddonMgr command.
  2. The command will make sure the file is put in the correct folder.
  3. The Interface_Customization#Macro paragraph explains how you can download the image from the Std_AddonMgr dialog and in which folder you can put it.
  4. Start the Std_DlgCustomize command.
  5. Set up the macro as described here: Interface_Customization#Macro.
  6. Create a custom toolbar and add you macro command to it as decribed here: Interface_Customization#Toolbars.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pm Once I have the cross section macro loaded along with its toolbar icon then I can carry out a cross section routine as described by by jmaustpc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 am.
Sounds like you may have got confused in a few ways. Firstly the method I originally suggested a page of posts back, was deliberately such that you did not need to install anything into a default FreeCAD install.
Step by step instructions for Part WB Boolean Cut, to get the desired cross section with face view.
All you had to do was get FreeCAD and run it. I was trying to keep it simple, at least only one step at a time since I thought you would have troubles trying to workout how to install and run a macro, which is not difficult but still many more steps hence increasing the learning curve. The macro is nice but ...

Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pm described by by jmaustpc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 am.
The forum rules link above this help forum shows when viewing any post, tells you how to quote correctly. Quoting a time and date like you did is pointless, because the system shows us all our local time and date, hence we all see something different.

By the way, since I am only about 300km inland from Sydney NSW, I am in the Australian east coast time zone hence UTC +10 or +11 depending on the time of year. The north Americans on their west coast are to east coast Australians (most of the day) in our "yesterday", since we are each only a few hours on either side of the international date line. So when a USA-ian or Canadian looks at a post in these forums, it might say Tuesday evening but I might see it as Wednesday morning etc.

Also that is why I am usually the one who creates the annual Christmas/New Year topic most years, since we get it first, (other than the two more hour time zones including New Zealand and the pacific island etc.). :)
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
Jenjack wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pm My problem is not being able to download the cross section macro. I cannot get to this interface.
Interface_Customization#Macros
on menu

or click right on tool bar

read the Usage section

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.