Center of circle relative to edge.

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RSA

Center of circle relative to edge.

Post by RSA »

Hi All ,just started FCAD and I am enjoying the software which is version 0.18. When I am in TD I am unable to dimension a circle relative to a edge,I have watched tutorials demonstrating how it is done but on my side I am unable to execute this . When a click on the center cross and a edge it only allows me to choose a edge . What am I missing ?
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo in thread title
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Center of cirlce relative to edge.

Post by jmaustpc »

Welcome to FreeCAD. :)
RSA wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 am version 0.18. When I am in TD
TechDraw has many new features and bug fixes in FreeCAD 0.19. Get the latest snapshot/ppa/etc. of 0.19 for your platform to get serious with TechDraw as its still being actively developed.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

RSA wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 am Hi All ,just started FCAD and I am enjoying the software which is version 0.18. When I am in TD I am unable to dimension a circle relative to a edge,I have watched tutorials demonstrating how it is done but on my side I am unable to execute this . When a click on the center cross and a edge it only allows me to choose a edge . What am I missing ?
I'm having trouble visualizing what you are trying to do. Please provide a picture. Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Do you mean something like this? I just selected the center and the line and created the dimension vertical, horizontal and length.
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-6e5d9b.png
Snip macro screenshot-6e5d9b.png (9.61 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Works in 0.18 as well. You have to set ArcCenterMarks=true, of course.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RSA

Post by RSA »

Thanks everyone for the quick response will follow through on the advice given .
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

One of the reasons that I suggested that you used FreeCAD 0.19 is that I miss-read your first post. :) I was thinking you wanted distance from edge of circle to edge of model or edge of another circle. However there still are many more useful TechDraw advances in FreeCAD 0.19.
wandererfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:13 pmThanks.
Thankyou for all your work bringing us the "many more useful TechDraw advances in FreeCAD 0.19". :)

Here is a basic quick file from which I extracted the following screen shot, you need FreeCAD 0.19 or newer to read this file correctly since it contains new functionality from 0.19.
techdrawtestingagain.FCStd
(30.72 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Screenshot_20200826_103243.png
Screenshot_20200826_103243.png (15.64 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 1cad17c5f59883cf8f07855cecab350d93a25c30
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Hello "jmaustpc" pleasure of acquaintance.
I have seen, and I think all the additional features are very positive.
I have included in the post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49679 some examples of dimensioning to which FreeCad, in some cases, cannot answer suggesting some things that would increase the efficiency of TechDraw, after reading them can you give your opinion?
RSA

Post by RSA »

Hey everyone ,so I have tried out all the suggestions relating to my original post . I have installed version 0.19 and its great . However I still cannot dimension the center of a cirlcle relative to a edge as in the image posted by @chrisb . I also noticed that I am unable to dimension the point on the circular edge relative to either horizontal , vertical lines or another point . ArcCenterMarks=true is enabled . When I click on circle center and then a edge or vice versa i get a INCORRECT SELECTION MESSAGE . Thanks everyone for all the help so far .
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

RSA wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:54 pmWhen I click on circle center and then a edge or vice versa i get a INCORRECT SELECTION MESSAGE .
You get this message already when selecting the edge??
Can you upload a preferably very simplified version of your file showing the issue, and describe step by step how to reproduce?