Draft Menu Bug

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
andykirby2

Draft Menu Bug

Post by andykirby2 »

Guys

First off most importantly, happy new year.

There appears to be something awry with the draft menu's in 0.14.

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.2973 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 50492a5f5f796ea783b87e8d4cb497fcb5340c02
Python version: 2.7.5+
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.4

Open Freecad
Select Draft Menu
Error occurs:-
must be sip.simplewrapper, not PySide.QtGui.QWidget

If I then open a doc (Any doc will do) and atemtp to add a dimension to a drawing in the doc.
Error occurs:-
Pick first point:
('[Draft.todo.tasks] Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>, 'in ', <built-in method showDialog of tuple object at 0x2e26b00>, '(', <DraftGui.DraftTaskPanel instance at 0x36f04d0>, ')')

These errors are after updating freecad when just back from xmas/new year break, pretty sure it did'nt do this before.

I would log this as a bug with Mantis except it wont let me logon with my account (Same name as this one). Password recovery fails, ie it does'nt send me the email. Attemtping to creating a new account with same name fails as one already exists. Logging on with my correct password and username fails. The same correct password and username do work here though.....
j-dowsett

Re: Draft Menu Bug

Post by j-dowsett »

Hi. I can't help with your Mantis issues...

but, regarding the problem with the Draft workbench, this is know about and being worked upon

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5303&view=unread#p42564
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Update you code and see if the problem goes away, Yorik has fixed a few things since your last update. The current version is now Version: 0.14.2993 (Git).

If the bug is still there then please come back and tell us.

If you find a bug in the future it is good practice to update to the latest code first and confirm that the bug is still there. :)

Regarding mantis and bugs...its best to first talk about the bug here, then if the bug is confirmed then create the mantis ticket.
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

andykirby2 wrote:must be sip.simplewrapper, not PySide.QtGui.QWidget
I solved this by deleting all stuff in my build folder and started with "cmake-gui .." from scratch. It went smoother than I thought and I was able to call the Draft Workbench. Actual Code is needed though.

Ulrich
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

jmaustpc

Updating before posting is exactly what I did. It is what caused the problem.....

I am using the PPA compiled packages not compiling from source.

Unfortunately there are only so many development hours in the day and I am already savagely over subscribed with other projects. I can however contribute testing of what is available for this one.

The issue is still there in the compiled PPA package. The git version as posted is the most up to date PPA compiled version.

If there is a fix flowing down stream that's Ok I can wait a little.

I had detected the need for pyside and manualy added this to my Ubuntu install before finding the next issue.

It would be worth while to add pyside to the dependancies for the package build. It will save everyone else using the compiled PPA's from that first stumbling block.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

andykirby2 wrote:I am using the PPA compiled packages not compiling from source.
I thought you meant you had compiled it. The PPA is of course a different matter.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This is an error caused by the transition between pyqt and pyside.. Please be patient, it should be solved pretty soon (as well as pthe correct dependencies)
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

Having had a read through the developer thread on ongoing work I checked that shiboken was installed and it was. But I didn't do it. So on Ubuntu Saucy at least shiboken looks to be there but pyside isn't unless specifically set in the package dependencies.

Dunno if this is useful info but though it better to put it out there than leave it out.

Yup happy enough to hang on while you guys do your thing. Did'nt want to ignore it and leave it to pop up later having been missed and do you a dis-service.

On a side note I did have a rummage around the help forum etc before posting, but nothing jumped out at me. I also had a quick rummage through the big tracker. Had something jumped out at me that looked like a WIP I wouldn't have pestered you.

It may be worth considering putting a sticky link to currently known about ongoing development issues in the top of the Help forum to forestall too many folk telling you what you already know.....
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Andy, have you been using the Daily Builds PPA for more than a week? If so, then you can downgrade to an older working version by uninstalling FreeCAD and installing directly from a *.deb package located in /var/cache/apt/archives
andykirby2 wrote:Having had a read through the developer thread on ongoing work I checked that shiboken was installed and it was. But I didn't do it. So on Ubuntu Saucy at least shiboken looks to be there but pyside isn't unless specifically set in the package dependencies.
I did add the shiboken dependency 2 days ago and it didn't work. I'm waiting for the other guys to find a solution, I don't have the technical knowledge for it.
andykirby2 wrote:It may be worth considering putting a sticky link to currently known about ongoing development issues in the top of the Help forum to forestall too many folk telling you what you already know.....
It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not very motivated to write and update it for a really good reason: I wrote the "Read first before asking for help" topic naively thinking every newcomer would read it. The hard fact is, almost none of them does, which infuriates me to no end. That sticky would not be read by anyone either. :evil:
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

normandc wrote:I'm waiting for the other guys to find a solution, I don't have the technical knowledge for it.
I got the same error with my Debian compilation. What was going wrong, was a file, which did not update properly in the Build-folder: "CMakeCache.txt"
I do not know what you can do at the daily-build-server, but maybe you can do the following.
I did the following at my FreeCAD git folder. I deleted all files in the Build-folder. Then cd to the Build-folder and call cmake-gui ..
There you have to select the build options and click configure and generate.
This creates a new file "CMakeCache.txt". I suspect a script than can do the normal updates.

Ulrich