request: detect and show where in the sketch constraints are missing

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecc

request: detect and show where in the sketch constraints are missing

Post by freecc »

If you can tell me there are 2 freedom of movements left then why not show where? If it is not too hard please make a button that can remain pressed or a check option next to "2 freedom of movements in sketch" that show where these freedom of movements are, maybe turn the points/lines to another color?

my last request. i think :)
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: request: detect and show where in the sketch constraints are missing

Post by HarryGeier »

There is a macro called "shaker" or "shake sketch" ( addon manager->macros) . It shall move elements that are not fixed by constraints yet.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 am If you can tell me there are 2 freedom of movements left then why not show where? If it is not too hard please make a button that can remain pressed or a check option next to "2 freedom of movements in sketch" that show where these freedom of movements are, maybe turn the points/lines to another color?
This has been asked before, so I can point you to another resource to check before requesting: The bug tracker. You can look at all the open requests and check if that function has been requested before.

Now for the contents: Your request is understandable, but not as easy to achieve as might seem. In general there is not a special place where the constraints are missing. The solver tries to solve a huge equation system and he can detect that there are degrees of freedom left, but that's it. Abdullah came up with a promising idea to improve the situation and I hope we will see some results in 0.18.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecc

Post by freecc »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 am
freecc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 am If you can tell me there are 2 freedom of movements left then why not show where? If it is not too hard please make a button that can remain pressed or a check option next to "2 freedom of movements in sketch" that show where these freedom of movements are, maybe turn the points/lines to another color?
This has been asked before, so I can point you to another resource to check before requesting: The bug tracker. You can look at all the open requests and check if that function has been requested before.

Now for the contents: Your request is understandable, but not as easy to achieve as might seem. In general there is not a special place where the constraints are missing. The solver tries to solve a huge equation system and he can detect that there are degrees of freedom left, but that's it. Abdullah came up with a promising idea to improve the situation and I hope we will see some results in 0.18.
I hope Abdullah solves it.
freecc

Post by freecc »

HarryGeier wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 am There is a macro called "shaker" or "shake sketch" ( addon manager->macros) . It shall move elements that are not fixed by constraints yet.
thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:15 am If you can tell me there are 2 freedom of movements left then why not show where?
Some of the ideas presented in this topic may help.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @freecc.

This thread will likely interest you:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26900
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

triplus wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 pm Hi @freecc.

This thread will likely interest you:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26900
This looks promising...... thanks
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
ldries46

Post by ldries46 »

As I am relatively new on FreeCAD and an experienced user of CATIA V5-V6. I am 65+ now. I would like to inspire the FreeCAD development team to try to "copy" what that program does.

I try to tranlate it to FreeCAD.
An element that is not constraint is white. If it is a line then if only the direction is known the line is green, the endpoints red. for each point if the position of then point is fully constraint that point is green else red. This means that during sketching and later on constraining you can immediately see where constraining is still necessary.
If an element is overconstrained it becomes purple.

I think that this is good point for in the next version.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ldries46 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:03 am An element that is not constraint is white. If it is a line then if only the direction is known the line is green, the endpoints red. for each point if the position of then point is fully constraint that point is green else red. This means that during sketching and later on constraining you can immediately see where constraining is still necessary.
If an element is overconstrained it becomes purple.
That doesn't sound bad - probably with different colors, but let's hear Abdullah if that matches the concept of the current Sketcher/solver.
Abdullah wrote:ping