Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by drmacro »

Just stumbled on another thing I don't get.

I create a new document and add an assembly.

Then open various parts to use in the assembly.

I then drag a Body from one of the parts to the assembly.

It ends up in the at the same level as the Assembly feature...and the contents of the part's file is now empty.

Am I doing it wrong?

And does the Body need to be in Assembly>Parts? (...that's how it shows in the tutorials) And what's the difference?

The tutorial discusses making the assembly file name active and using ctrl drag to get the part. That doesn't empty the part file.
But, the tree of the assembly folds up so it gets added at the same level as the Assembly feature. (Then I can move it to Assembly>Parts)

Not sure of the work flow...

And, the drag/drop (without ctrl key)...shouldn't that at least warn you are about empty the source file of the part?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

drmacro wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:50 pm But when I do that is says inconsistent constraints. I guess this is because plane coincident is trying to put the two faces together at the center of the bottom pocket face?
Yes!
For this 1st case, I would be satisfied to select the circular edge of the bottom with the end of the axis, then a PlaneCoincident constraint (not only the planes will be put in coincidence, but also the centers of the circles too).
Warning ! To avoid too many superabundant constraints, one of the guides must be constrained as before at each end, the other at one end only then at the other end, AxialAlignment will suffice.
selection1.png
selection1.png (21.55 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
drmacro wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:12 pm But when I try to use a similar constraint on the second rod I get the inconsistent error:
Regarding the 2nd guide, still to avoid over-constraints, I would be satisfied with a SameOrientation constraint between the two plane faces indicated on the image:
selection2.png
selection2.png (39.39 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
I would say in summary that I always seek the positioning which uses the least over-constraints to obtain the desired result, without worrying completely about the "mechanical" reality.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

drmacro wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm Just stumbled on another thing I don't get.
I create a new document and add an assembly.
Then open various parts to use in the assembly.
I then drag a Body from one of the parts to the assembly.
It ends up in the at the same level as the Assembly feature...and the contents of the part's file is now empty.
Am I doing it wrong?
I happen to have the same problem! I just did a test again. I would say that you have to break down the actions:
1- Create the new file and don't forget to save it.
2- Create in this file the assembly container.
3- Click on the file name to make sure you have nothing else selected.
4- Press the Ctrl key and keep it pressed.
5- Click and drag the desired part body to the assembly container (a + then appears under the mouse crosshair).
6- Release the mouse.
drmacro wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm And does the Body need to be in Assembly>Parts? (...that's how it shows in the tutorials) And what's the difference?
The tutorial discusses making the assembly file name active and using ctrl drag to get the part. That doesn't empty the part file.
But, the tree of the assembly folds up so it gets added at the same level as the Assembly feature. (Then I can move it to Assembly>Parts)
Not sure of the work flow...
By placing the body on the assembly container, a link with this body is automatically created in Assembly> Parts.
drmacro wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm And, the drag/drop (without ctrl key)...shouldn't that at least warn you are about empty the source file of the part?
Sometimes we really want to move the body part! The program therefore cannot anticipate our desire.

realthunder wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:26 am...
Hello Realthunder,
What do you think of this little problem?
Are we going too fast and the Ctrl signal not being maintained correctly?
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jpg87 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am
I happen to have the same problem! I just did a test again. I would say that you have to break down the actions:
1- Create the new file and don't forget to save it.
2- Create in this file the assembly container.
3- Click on the file name to make sure you have nothing else selected.
4- Press the Ctrl key and keep it pressed.
5- Click and drag the desired part body to the assembly container (a + then appears under the mouse crosshair).
6- Release the mouse.
Yes, but that's my query. If, I expand the assembly and expand the part intended to be added to the assembly, then click on the Body of the part, all the features collapse. (Yes, the + appears and I can drop it in the (collapsed assembly))
(For some reason I can't uncheck Treeview actions> Expand/Collapse :roll: )

By placing the body on the assembly container, a link with this body is automatically created in Assembly> Parts.
This after the drop:
TreeAfterDrop.png
TreeAfterDrop.png (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
Sometimes we really want to move the body part! The program therefore cannot anticipate our desire.
Yes, but, a simply popup saying: "You are about to remove the part from it's file. Are you Sure?" is not anticipating what I want, in fact, it's actually making sure I'm not doing something I'll regret shortly. ;)

[/quote]
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

How did the combo view change to the annoying version with toggle eyes, autohide two tabs across the top AND two tabs down the left side for the same tabs...I did nothing I swear. ;) :lol:

And how do I get back the nice simple two tabs that were there before it automagically hid all the A3 toobars on me?

:cry: :? :shock: :lol:

Got it! ...I knew if I banged on it enough. ;)
Last edited by drmacro on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

When I try to ctl/drag/drop a sub-assembly into an assembly I get the following:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAJGQtXF/usr/Mod/asm3/freecad/asm3/assembly.py", line 3545, in execute
    obj.ViewObject.Proxy.onExecute()
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'int' object has no attribute 'onExecute'
Recompute failed! Please check report view.
Edit: I started a new top assembly file. If I attempt to use a link (described in the tutorial) instead of dragndrop, I get a link feature in the sub-assembly tree not in the top assembly. :?

Edit: I have re-read the tutorial "Asm3_essai_methodo_En_V2b.pdf" and it talks about creating a sub-assembly in the top assembly (i.e. creating a new Assembly object in the current file and populating it with Body objects from other files). I might not be seeing what is obvious, but, I can't figure out how to add an existing assembly (i.e. an external file that contains an Assembly object which in turn contains Body objects from other files) to a top assembly.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21911 +2545 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 04c80c99eee0f7d2f761bdc7d8b32c077adefdec
Python version: 3.7.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by drmacro on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Yeah, there is something broken in the current release when copying/moving an assembly. I'll fix it soon.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Thanks!

I'm glad it's not me (being broken, that is) for once... :lol:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

realthunder, due to Fusion 360 becoming crippleware, you may want to consider making another release to LinkStage3
Lots of people looking at it right now
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm realthunder, due to Fusion 360 becoming crippleware, you may want to consider making another release to LinkStage3
Lots of people looking at it right now
Yep, I feel the heat too. I'll prepare for a new release.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal